Two for Trouble by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

As a mother I can assure you that the terrible twos are not a myth. The only thing worse would be to have twins. The boys may seem a bit precocious for two but this was conscious decision on my part.  Tolkien says that elves acquired language skills young and these two are, in addition to that, sons of Fëanor. Also, if anyone wonders how the tanner might know what Finwë would call his grandson, I would argue that they were the celebrities of their day and every bit of information would be circulated as gossip.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Written for the SWG July 2007  "The Terrible Twos!" Challenge.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Maedhros, Nerdanel, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Terrible Twos, Ankle Biters

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 527
Posted on 5 August 2007 Updated on 5 August 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Awwww ... okay, they may be in the terrible twos, but I can never resist wee!Ambarussa. You have such a gift for voice in your stories; the tanner comes through perfectly here. Is this going to continue? I know, I know, just what you probably want and need: another work in progress! But I'd be intrigued to read more. :)

 Thank you so much. I am tickled pink that you liked it. I was worried when I had finished that the little devils ought to have been complaining about the smell. (I think tanneries smell bad or maybe I am mixing that up with a glue factory and a tannery side-by-side on the outskirts of the little town on the Ohio River where my mother grew up.) I almost continued the scene to include that element but it seemed like it would ruin the symmetry so I decided I wouldn't worry. (Or maybe those clever Noldor would have figured out a way around that problem.) It definitely was a one-shot, although if I had had months to work on the Seven in ’07 I might have been inspired to do a whole series of ficlets of the impressions of different townspeople of Formenos (as you imagined it in AMC) had of their most famous summer residents.  So I won’t rule out continuing it.

(Believe it or not. it was inspired in part by your chapter of the visit to the healer in Formenos with Feanor, Fingon, Celegorm and Maglor. I know they appear on the surface to have nothing in common at all, but made me wonder how it would have been written from her POV which you communicated remarkably well in the POV of Celegorm.)

I agree with your opinion that the 'ordinary' people of Formenos would be interested in what was going on in Feanor's family as much as modern people are interested in the comings and goings of royal families today. :) Lovely tale. Thank you very much for sharing.

Happy New Year!

Binka

When I read your comment on Gold-Seven's image, I wondered whether you'd ever written about Maedhros and the twins and found that you had! I think I had missed this story before, somehow. What a nice glimpse of the family! And it sort of goes with your more recent story of Finno helping with the harvest.

I definitely think that they were constantly gossiped-about and, in my interpretation of them, spending part of their time in Formenos before the exile period means they would have had a following there as home-town celebrities. Dawn Felagund had the idea years before me that it is likely that it was one of their bases support, since a significant minority of hardcore Feanor supporters endured through the Flight of the Noldor and for centuries afterwards in Middle-earth.

Thanks so much for reading! I like bad little toddlers--they make me laugh. And, yes, they do drive me crazy also!