Risk Assessment by pandemonium_213

| | |

Fanwork Notes

MEFA 2008 by Elena Tiriel

Banner by Elenal Tiriel

The story takes place in Second Age Ost-in-Edhil of the pandemoniverse. Please be aware that I veer into the AU with my quest to bring rationalism, examination of gender roles, and questions of technology (kurwë/curwë as Tolkien called it) to Middle-earth. Also, the context of the story relies heavily on The Apprentice (same cultural milieu), so if you can bear it, please read or skim that first. These are all original characters (think grad students and post-docs of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain) with fleeting appearances by Celebrimbor (Tyelperinquar) and Annatar (Aulendil). Canonical sources are "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" in The Silmarillion, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn" in Unfinished Tales, and "Of Lembas" in The Peoples of Middle-earth, vol XII of The History of Middle-earth.

With regard to the brief mention of the change of government in Ost-in-Edhil, inspiration comes from Tyellas’ “A Modest Rebellion” in One Ring to Bind Them. The scenario of an election in Ost-in-Edhil makes eminently more sense to me than say, an armed Elven-junta.

The Ardalambion and the Hisweloke Sindarin dictionary were used as resources for names and other terms. My use of Quenya and Sindarin is less than consistent or orthodox (let alone the smattering of Latin), e.g. the Sindarin woman referring to her companions as "Noldor" as opposed to "Gelydh."

Finally, many thanks to my long-suffering For Your Entertainment/Friday Ficcery readers who are subjected my blathering. You know who you are.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Noldorin journeymen and masters of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain discuss the secrets of lembas with a Sindarin apprentice to the Yavannildi/Ivonwin.

This was written as a lark in response to the Lembas SWG challenge, but I suppose it could also address the Secret Knowledge challenge. It was meant primarily for SWG site owner’s entertainment, but since I have already embarrassed myself thoroughly via The Apprentice and other self-indulgent hackery, what the heck…I may as well toss this up here on the SWG.

MEFA 2008: Honorable Mention, Elves, General.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Original Character(s), Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Journey Bread

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 680
Posted on 8 September 2007 Updated on 8 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Character list and glossary in End Notes.

Because the narrator is a young woman of Grey-Elven descent, her tendency is to refer to the Noldor as Golodhrim and her own people as Thindrim. See end notes.

 

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thanks so much, oshun!  Yes, the toxin could be fungal-derived ergotamine, or it may be inherent in the grain itself (my theory).  An example of another toxic but important foodstuff is <a href="http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/05/030514080833.htm">cassava</a>, which must be processed properly to diminish its cyanide content.

Thanks a million for taking a look at this little slice of life among the post-docs and grad students. :^) The exact identity of the grain used for lembas is a mystery to me - some sort of temperate zone monocot based on old Pengolodh's notes, but one that must harbor some unusual secondary metabolite. Yep, I tend to think there was some tension among the Noldor and the rest of the tribes.

Oh what a story and ai poor Midhel to see the mysteries and what is holy for her beiung stripped away like that. The question would be now: what was the source of the toxin. I think it is still conceivable that perhaps once there was no toxin in it, but after Ungoliant savoured the trees and poisoned it, she might have been more menancing and poisoned more plants of the Valar. It's just a thought. I am still wondering what will happen with Midhel after she gave this event some time to rest and perhaps is being initiated. The feeling of wonder might be gone, so how would she observe the ceremony. This is a fabulous short story, you write original characters so well!

I think it is still conceivable that perhaps once there was no toxin in it, but after Ungoliant savoured the trees and poisoned it, she might have been more menancing and poisoned more plants of the Valar.

Now that is an intriguing interpretation!  I like it! That would be consistent with Ungoliant's destruction predilections and the stain on Valinor.  That in turn makes me wonder if Ungoliant's toxin ("dark power") may have given the plant the ability to resist decay and disease.  So perhaps an evil intention ends up inadvertently conferring something beneficial?

Your comment got me to thinking about the crop's backstory and Midhel's later thoughts. 

It may be that Yavanna knew full well of the toxic properties of this mysterious crop -- and may even have put the toxic properties in place herself  -- not as anything pertaining to Arda Marred, but as a means for the plant to protect itself against insect pests and disease.  Yet the remarkable nutritional (feeding body and spirit) properties of the grain far outweighed the risk of toxicity to the Firstborn.  So Yavanna, being a wise Vala (and to my mind a first-rate horticulturalist and botanist), performed her own risk assessment and taught her first accolytes how to handle to grain so that the toxicity was diminished.  The process likely got ritualized and became holy. 

I'd like to think Midhel found a new way to look at lembas with wonder.  Knowing the "science" behind lembas, she might appreciate the ritual that much more since she would be aware of Yavanna's elegant scientific approach and thoughtful assessment of the good outweighing the bad.

Heh.  Well, I went on and on about that!

On OCs.  It's a risky path since many fan fic readers prefer to read about canon characters, so  I'm relieved that you like these folks!  Not only do I like to write OCs, but I also like to read OCs!

Thanks so much, Rhapsy for the compliments and for the thought-provoking comments; you're very good at coming up with those! :^)

I admit that I did not appreciate this very much the first time I've read this (right after "The Apprentice" for last year's MEFAs).  But after I've delved deep into the Pandë verse I must say that this is a delightful chapter that gives some insight into Mél and Sám's characters. 

This review is shamefully late, I kept on forgetting to write it every time there's an update for The Elendilmir.  ;-(

No review is ever too late! :^D

Although the story is meant to stand on its own with its themes of faith versus skepticism and culture clashes that can nonetheless be bridged, I can see how this might give some insight into these two OCs' characters.  I also think that Midhel and Mélamírë will have some more stories together in the future -- I see the little furry toes of plot bunnies if not their whole bodies!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, ww!