Out, Damn'd Spot! Out, I Say! by Alassante

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks so much to Gwynnyd, Oshun, and Lissa for the beta and advice. The Lady Macbeth connection was completely Oshun's input. Thanks again!

Dedicated to Dawn Felagund for being forgiving and protective like Uncle Maedhros.

 

For OSA Drabble challenge - Water

2008 MEFA Winner - 2nd Place Elves: Noldor Fixed-Length Ficlets

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Like Lady MacBeth, Celebrimbor discovers how much blood is in a body, so much so that water cannot wash it easily away.

For OSA Drabble challenge - Water Also, dedicated to Dawn Felagund for being forgiving and protective like Uncle Maedhros.

 

2008 MEFA Winner - 2nd Place Elves: Noldor Fixed-Length Ficlets

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 293
Posted on 11 March 2008 Updated on 11 March 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I came to work this morning, and as soon as I was finished running the day's warrants, I checked my email. There wasn't much ... for once. But there was your email telling me to check the Most Recent ... and my first thought was, "Crap! The SWG site is blocked at work, and I'm sure that my circumventor has been blocked by now too!" So I was prepared for a day of suspense, unable to read your new story and knowing that it was there.

But hope dies hard. So I tried my circumventor anyway and ...

Well, here I am, so you know it worked. ;) I first of all wanted to thank you for such a thoughtful dedication, especially attached to such a great piece. I haven't had much of an urge to write fanfic lately, but this suddenly has me feeling the tickle of little fangs on my ankles. ;) There so much going on here that's got my mind reeling: Celebrimbor's guilt, Maedhros's guilt (and coping), knowledge of their fate, having to forgive Feanor ... and so on.

But I have to say that my favorite bit of this piece is the opening image: Celebrimbor scrubbing his hands raw, convinced that there is more and more blood on them, until the blood is his own. There is so much meaning in this: the crime of the Noldor leading to their own downfall and deaths. Okay, actually, I'm quite jealous that I didn't think of it. ;)

Thank you again. :)

Aww I'm so glad you liked it! You know I got a soft spot for Celebrimbor and lately he and Maedhros seeming to be hanging out in my mind lol Somehow the challenge of writing about water spawned into this. Go figure =) But I'm glad you liked it. Maybe one day I'll write more than drabbles and one shots for Silmarillion.