My Greatest Fear by oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A ficlet in which Fingon visits Maedhros at Himring Hill and they confess their greatest fears to one another. (Fingon/Maedhros: soft R, at the highest.)

My entry for day 13 of the SWG Back to Middle-earth Month challenge. The prompt: Write a story where the characters have to confront their greatest fears.

 

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance

Challenges: B2MeM 2009

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 606
Posted on 14 March 2009 Updated on 14 March 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was such a moving & elegantly read and I think you gave the prompt an immense romantic spin, yet so fitting! Fingon as a character, his growth and confidence just jumps at me. Its in his words and movements, equal partners yet unique alone. Then there is another thing, even though both know that their love for each other is endless, the third fear to me is the risk of growing apart, especially if both live so far apart for that greater cause. Why I suddenly have to think of 'Never tear us apart ' by INXS, but it suits them.

What a terrific comment, Rhapsody. I love the lyrics and think they fit perfectly with this story. (You are the second person who has given me lyrics for these guys! Pandemonium gave me lyrics for A New Day.) I think I will not be able to restrain myself from posting them and bagging about you finding them on my LJ. I am also excited that you see Fingon growing—still the same guy, but his experiences are sobering him (just a bit!).

Ooooh, the opening lines are wonderful.  I especially like "in deep winter, the cold could reach bone deep."  Exactly how I imagine the stronghold at Himring.  The detailed description of the suite is noteworthy, too.  Easy for me to imagine the constrast of the cold winter without and the warmth within.

you half expect to find me wallowing in melancholy, if not barking mad.

Fingon wrapped his arms around him and squeezed him until Maedhros let out an unlordly squeak

These made me smile.  A lot.  I love their interactions and banter.  And nice fade to black.

A nicely drawn sketch of these fellows that fits snugly in their story arc. 

I am so glad that it worked for you, since you know my story arc about as well as anyone could. I was wondering how it would be during the period when they do not get to spend very much time together, both involved with everything they need to be doing apart. It seemed to me that Fingon would still be worrying about Maedhros and not having Fingon around might make Maedhros worry they could grow apart. Yet in my version they do not. I guess you already figured that, despite his vulnerability, my Maedhros does not do emo, but deep down inside . . .

This glimpse at older Mairtimo and Findekano burdened by the routine and  reponsibilities of running their lands but still perfectly in love is  lovely. And, as it was said, to turn this prompt into a sweet, romantic addition to the story arc is quite a feat. It makes perfect sense that at this point their greatest fear should be themselves and their relation rather than dragons and orcish raids. I loved the story.

Thanks, Angelica, for reading and commenting. So happy the ficlet worked for you. You are right that I am thinking of this period as a relatively quiet as far as outright hostilities against the Enemy, but also one when they are forced to be very productive. (I suppose I think of Maedhros as handling what we would call Post Traumatic Stress Disorder very well in light of his past experiences, but that Fingon would remain concerned for him.)

Contrary to the previous ficlet I just read, this has a serious touch to it, but is no less enjoyable. I admire how you portrayed them with the burden of their years and experiences, but they still have a joyful, youthful note to their attitude. Well done again :)

Thank you so much. I am so happy it worked for you. I often feel a little uneasy about giving a positive spin on their lives when so many writers love to milk the tragedy. But real life has taught me that one could not be as effective as either of them if their focus had been entirely on those aspects. And yet...the fears are there, of course. (By the way, I just read your most recent Maedhros story, which I liked very much. Still intend to comment on it, but there is so much to say I have been stalling. Will do it properly soon.)