The Day the Numenoreans Left by Aiwen

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Disclaimer: This story is based on J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. I am not him and make no money off this whatever, so kindly don't bother trying to sue me.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Pharazôn and Amandil's diplomatic mission to Middle-earth may do more harm than good ...

Major Characters: Amandil, Ar-Pharazôn, Círdan, Gil-galad, Glorfindel, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Akallabêth in August

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 6, 102
Posted on 15 August 2009 Updated on 15 August 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


So sad! I am old enough to know better, yet it is always sad and unbelievable to see people change so drastically and grow estranged. This piece shows that so well! I love how we see how different both A and P are, yet we see the companionship they share very vividly too, all the more poignant because we know how it all ends. Great work!

I'm glad you liked Azare.  I must admit that I enjoy causing a would-be Mary Sue to make a complete and total idiot of herself-and then have to deal with the likely consequences of her actions.  I'm glad you liked the parrot.  One of my earlier ideas had to Gil-galad give it to Cirdan who then walked around with it on his shoulder...  but Cirdan is really not very piratical and it didn't fit with the story as it worked out.  I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the feedback.

I am halfway reading this story and it is just fabulous! I love the air of the two cocky men you captured here: the brash Pharazon and the curious yet trying to be diplomatic Amandil. Then of course the cultural differences between the two races, two worlds grown so apart... And oh, monkeys, who wants monkies: that had me nearly choking on my beverage. But this, oh this had me roaring from laughter:

Amandil watched in horror as some nearby elves turned interested expressions their way. "Bush of whizzish..." one said, obviously trying to puzzle out what the captain was saying. "What's a whizzish bush?" he asked.

Amandil thought frantically, and decided that a little white lie was the best part of valor here. "The whizzish bush grows only in Numenor," he said. "We make a special alcoholic drink from the fruit and he thinks he's had too much of it."

It is that I am in need of sleep, but I could read many more chapters of this utmost goodness!

The whole bush of whizzish thing started off as a voice dictation error.  I looked at it and suddenly realized that it opened some wonderful opportunities for mayhem and went with it.  I'm glad it worked as I hoped it would.  Thank you for the feedback; it really helps me to know when what I'm doing is working and when it isn't.

I did not know that there were more than one chapter! And I'm so glad I found the rest of it ;-D What a fun, witty, clever, hilarious, intriguing, insightful story! The different misunderstandings and blunders were too much fun to rrad but, at the heart of it, the knowledge that both kindreds had drifted toomuch apart to be reconciled quite so easily.

Little did Amandil know that his heirs would make friendship with those same Elves...

Thanks for a great story!

My idea for the story started off as one blunder after another but when I actually wrote it down I realized that the subject matter was serious enough I had to treat it with a little more respect than I had originally intended.  I'm glad that two levels came across properly.  Thank you very much for the feedback.

This was a humorous story with definite undertones of the seriousness of the matter. The culture clashes were well-handled. And the differences in personality and the later conflicts between Amandil and Pharazôn were superb.

"Now if you want a difficult castle in the hands of enemies why don't you go attack Barad-dur?"
"You never know," Pharazon said with a smile. "Someday I just might."

These were my favorite lines of the piece. Obviously meant in jest here, but so foretelling. (Make me wonder if they rememberd this conversation when it did happen.)