At The Precipice by Beatrisu

| | |

Fanwork Notes

It is currently four in the morning, and I am trying to defeat both my insomnia and my writer's block. This was the result so far.

 I have always had a fascination with Maedhros' suicide. Then again, what Silmarillion writer doesn't? This is my second take on it - the first one written a very long time ago. Back when I first started writing fanfiction. So I decided to give it another go.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.  

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maedhros stands at the precipice and ponders his choices, his folly, and his release.

Major Characters: Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Suicide, Character Death, Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 221
Posted on 6 December 2009 Updated on 6 December 2009

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Not for the faint of heart, or for those who find suicide disturbing!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you, thank you!

 Intense is the middle name of Maedhros, I think, especially after all that happened to him. With the torture he underwent from Morgoth, to the wars, and all the horrible things the Noldor did to retrieve those three jewels. In my mind, Maedhros thought them not to be worth it in the end, and he felt that he was responsible, as was his way of thinking - or at least, that's how I see him. 

Maedhros is one of the characters I love the most, and so this just came to me as a way to banish my writer's block - and it worked, somewhat. 

Anyway! Thank you for your marvellous review! I'm happy I was able to give you the goosebumps. That's the highest praise I could ever hope to get.

The line about how his tears evaporate faster than they can fall is excellent--not only is it a sharp image but, to me, it also seems to show how his sorrow has been buried beneath necessity; now, at last, it can show, but it is too late. Very nice! ... well, erm, as nice as this particular topic can be. ;)

(Also, I got your email but had a lot of schoolwork this week ... didn't want you to think the website ate it or anything!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 I think Maedhros' suicide is something that fascinates a lot of Silmarillion fans, really, and I've played with the idea over and over again, written several fics for it. This is by far the most detailed one I've ever written, and also the one I thought turned out the nicest.

Thanks for the wonderful review! It really made me happy to see someone actually read and understand it - that's what I long for and what I feel I don't get at ff.net. I'm glad I came here!