Pictures at an Exhibition by Robinka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This was initially meant to be a single drabble, written in response to a challenge issued at an lj community. But my Sindarin muses suggested that I add some more and make it a series. I wasn't going to argue with them ;).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A series of drabbles, some humorous, other not so much, centered on the Sindar (because they deserve all the praise).

Brand new one, written for the challenge Just an Old-Fashioned Love Song!

Major Characters: Beleg, Daeron, Elu Thingol, Lúthien Tinúviel, Mablung, Maedhros, Melian, Nellas, Original Character(s), Túrin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet, Het, Humor, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 15 Word Count: 2, 031
Posted on 10 June 2007 Updated on 7 August 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

An impish drabble, originally written for the challenge at "Drabble Madness": "Funny Names. Mablung of the Heavy Hand".

Thanks to NeumeIndil for beta-reading :)

Beleg's skill lay in warfare. And other things.

Thanks to Neume for her beta help.

Beleg on his way to rescue his friend Túrin. A drabble written ages ago for OSA Drabble Challenge: Good guy.

Thanks to Elliska for beta-reading.

2008 MEFA nominee

A double-drabble this time. Thanks to Hrymfaxe for a quick beta :)

A sequel to "Strategy": knowledge does not have to mean routine.

Thanks to Neume for the beta.

A drabble written for Hrymfaxe. The prompt was: Mablung (surprising! ;)) and “chilld”. I didn’t know whether Hrymfaxe meant “child” or “chilled”, so the drabble is about a chilled child.

As always, thank yous go to my dear Neume for her beta help.

A double drabble written for Rhapsody. Why did Nellas choose to keep an eye on Túrin after he had arrived in Doriath as a young boy?

Thanks to Neume for the beta.

Ah yes, Mablung... :) A drabble written for Whitewave.

Thankies to Neume, as always, for her help.

A take on the ultimate meeting of Daeron and Lúthien, written for Lethe. The title is borrowed from the song by Red Hot Chili Peppers. A vignette.

Thanks for the beta go to Neume.

A small take on what the Sindar might have felt upon the arrival of the Noldor in Beleriand.

For Moreth (you know, for that Sindar association :) at lj). With thank yous to Vlad for the beta.

Written for B2MeM 2011 Day First: "Nan Elmoth".

For Clodia :)

A drabble written in response to B2MeM 2011 Day #5, "Menegroth": Write a story or poem or create artwork that will illustrate the consequences of isolation.

Menegroth Passport Stamp

Thank yous go to Pandë for a quick beta and advice and to Iron Maiden for the title.

This glimpse is a bit of a far larger story of mine that depicts the battle in the forest of Brethil, coming soon in the cinemas near you ;).

A bit twisted take on the Sindar. Thank yous to Himring for the beta :)

Beleg... You'll never know when he shows up at your doorstep, points at pen and paper and says, "Write, would you please?". As if I could say no to him.

No beta, no warnings, just 100 words about Beleg :) Enjoy!

A drabble for the SWG challenge “Just an Old-fashioned Love Song”, inspired by “We Belong” by Pat Benatar.

Back when things were better.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


:D

I'm very glad that you liked the drabbles!

It's kind of funny, you know, the other day I looked at the list of my stories here, especially at the characters, and asked myself, now Binka, look: Maedhros, Finrod, Finrod, Maglor, Maedhros... And where are all those fav Sindarin hunks of yours, huh...? LOL! And here they are ;)

Thank you tons for taking the time to read and review. 

Binka, I'm putting my foot down--please don't let him rescue Turin anymore!

I'm humbly requesting that you write a romantic story about our favorite Sinda, since it's partially your fault (hehehe) that I imagine Michael Praed in Robin Hood costume when I read about Beleg. It could be AU or whatever, (like I'd know the difference).  Please, please.

Oh Binks, I am so sorry that I missed this fabulous piece. Wow doesn't even describe it, but it feels so right to see how Daeron, the so blinded by his love for Luthien - finally gets what he deserves.

This bit:

"Why?" he uttered. "After all the tears unnumbered? After all the years uncounted?"

I love this a lot in this fic, it feels right to see it here that it doesn't take just one battle, but also the personal losses and sacrifices of someone to portray a grief this immensely. And where else, at the shores of Cuiviénento bring it full circle for him!

Word weaver, yeah that just feels so right for you!

 

Oh wow Binks! You outdid yourself with this one! I love the differences between the two groups: you set them both aside in temperaments, but also how both groups can learn from the other.

 This bit especially stands out to me, it reads immensely poetically (did I just made up a word for you?):

They came with fire and their burning needs to conquer, rule, and possess; our kin, but distant, alien in their attitude, they brought high hopes, but also the tumult, into which we might inevitably tumble.

 Wonderfully drabbled, you summed up the first age from the Sinda perspective in a perfect way!

Oooh, excellent, Binka!  You have such mastery of the short form (although I like your longer pieces, too).  You've captured the essence of the Sindar and the Noldor here beautifully.  I can't help but think of our primary world, too, when more "advanced" conquerors have invaded the lands of aboriginal peoples.

I'm not participating in B2MeM (I'm already too immersed in it :^D) but I'm really enjoying everyone's offerings. 

Thank you so much for your wonderful review :D

I too think that the Noldor and their arrival can be to a certain extent compared to the conquest of barbarian, pre-Middle Ages Europe by the Romans (though not as violent, I guess). They brought "modern technology", culture, science and an entire set of habits, and the fire too -- their passion in everything they were doing. I'm very happy that you liked the drabble :D Thanks again!

Thank you! It looks like I can always count on the muse (well, not that I didn't believe I could, it's just he's sometimes silent for far too long, and suddenly... You get the idea ;)).

 Actually, I did get inspired by what (whom) you associated me with the other day. I asked myself how I would react to the arrival of those distant cousins. I'm glad I seem to have done a good job :D Thank you for both the inspiration and your kind words :D