The OTHER Lays of Beleriand by Aiwen

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Lays JRR Tolkien did not write for very good reasons. Part Eight: The Harp and other poems. MEFA 2010 nominee.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Glorfindel, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor, Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 8 Word Count: 1, 414
Posted on 23 March 2009 Updated on 18 June 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Inspiration for this came from reading about sewage treatment for work while my mind kept trying to wander off into the lay of Leithian.  The two sort of got tangled together.  Thank you for the feedback; there will be more in this series although they're rather variable.

I find JRR Tolkein had a tendency to avoid talking about such things.  I've always wondered where most of the elvish kingdoms grew their food - nargothrond is an exception, since he actually describes fields of all sorts of crops growing above ground.  As for dealing with sewage, that is several ranks down from farming in photogenicity.  Thank you for the feedback.

For the record, I don't think Glorfindel was vain.  As far as I can tell, wearing long hair was standard for male elves in Middle-earth and Gondolin was attacked in the middle of a festival.  But sometimes a plot idea will not leave me alone, and this one was short and easy to write down.  How could I avoid writing it?  Thank you very much for your feedback.

I haven't had a chance to catch up with these in a while, and I'm glad that I finally have! Sauron as a fungus-covered log is priceless! Your more serious pieces are also nicely done. (As for what you'd like to do with them, it is of no preference to me either way; I enjoy your poetry and so will read it however you decide to store it! :)

The fungus-covered log exists because it rhymed with bested by a dog, and I was trying to figure out what sort of thing present in Taur-nu-Fuin could possibly rhyme. I think I'll probably keep the serious pieces in here for now if there are any more of them. I'm glad you enjoyed them.   

The lord of the sewers and Glorfindl's hair had me snickering already, and by the time I reached "the harp"I was emitting strange sounds indeed. I never quite considered the woes of a laundry orc, but that must be a tragic life indeed. The serious pieces were very nice as well, especially the one about Nargothrond (not its sewers). 

I'm glad you like this - I only just spotted this review, sorry for the many-years wait. Yes, the laundry orc's life is not a happy one, happy one. (if you don't recognise this reference, check out Gil-bert and Sullivan's song A policeman's lot is not a happy one to find out what I'm talking about)