A Near Thing by Anne Wolfe

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally written for Tolkien Gen Week 2021.

There are so few attested Adûnaic words and/or names available that I decided against using any names at all in this fic, to save them for future Númenorian endeavors. Please let me know in the comments if any part of the story is difficult to follow because of this decision, I'll do my best to fix any unclarities!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The younger daughter was loud-hearted, and much beloved by her many acquaintances.... but the elder daughter was quiet and small, and much disliked by those who followed her sister.

In which a Númenorian family comes very, very close to falling entirely apart.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 720
Posted on 11 August 2021 Updated on 11 August 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Anne Wolfe has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure, Pacing, Plot, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


A near thing indeed... good thing the father could think of an excuse, but he might not be so quick the next time. I feel for this poor family torn apart in the conflict - it reminds me of the story in The Lost Road, where Herendil is young and swayed by the promises and threats and then finds out that his own father is a ringleader of the Faithful.

I didn't find it hard at all to know who you were referring to! The lack of names gave it a fairytale-like quality, which is not a bad thing at all.