Ulmo’s Palace by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Written for the prompts: Curufin and Ulmo's Palace; for the Probably AU Genfic Swap at Elffetish. One of those cute 'lil elfing stories which contains dark undertones and/or is blasphemous to the Valar.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Curufin, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Ankle Biters, Canon with a Twist, Sea Voyages

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 2, 516
Posted on 14 June 2010 Updated on 19 June 2010

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Thanks to Dawn Felagund's "By the Light of the Roses," for the names and ethnicities of the wives of Curufin and Maglor.

At a critical point in their lives, Celebrimbor and Curufin remember Ulmo's Palace. This excerpt from a psalm had all the tropes I wanted and needed: ships, great waters, stormy winds and the all too familiar human reaction to finding oneself at the mercy of the power of the sea.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I adore stories dealing with the relationship between Curufin and Celebrimbor.  From what we know of the events of the First Age, seeing them happy and (relatively) carefree in Valinor makes their father-son time more precious, somehow.  The 'relatively' is important, though, and I loved the way you managed to instill a sense of foreboding in this snippet of halcyon days (to borrow Macalaurë's phrase, as much as Curvo would resent me for it.)  There was the mention of Fëanáro and Nerdanel's estrangement, the book from Indis and Finwë, a slight tension regarding opinions of the Valar, and the presence of Aqualondë with its fond memories for the sons of Fëanáro - and it makes a very real and effective contrast to the fairytales beloved by little Tyelpë.

In short, this is a great one-shot.  Thanks for sharing. =)

Although "The Boy My Daughter Married" was very well done, I'm glad to see you showing Curufin from another angle than only from his mother-in-law's point of view! The first and second chapter contrast in more way than one: the first seemed as leisurely as the evening itself, while this second one seems to pack a lot more material and considerations into less space, but that is quite right, considering the radical change of scene. Sorry not to be able to comment on any details just now!

Oh, thanks so very much for reading! And thanks for stopping to let me know what you liked about it. I couldn't miss an opportunity for contrasting father and son in this case. I believe they must have been very close and yet, there is clearly, despite all this, a capacity for Celebrimbor to cultivate his own independent views which allows him to separate himself from his father at a critical point. Although it is great storytelling, how cruel of Tolkien to allow the reader to hope that Celebrimbor might have been allowed to escape his family's terrible doom and then to crush those hopes. Like you, I really am fascinated by Celebrimbor.