Link Collections and Playlists Are Here!

Banner reads Link Collections and Playlists Are Here!

When we built the new site, one of our reasons and goals was to eventually be able to host just about every type of fanwork that could be created. Although we are the Silmarillion Writers' Guild, we've long recognized and sought to honor the fact that our members create much more than just written fanworks, and we wanted to build an archive where they could host all of their Silmarillion-based fanworks.

Today, we are pleased to take two steps closer to that goal. The SWG archive can now host link collections and playlists. Link collections allow you to compile lists of links both within and outside the SWG and are ideal for rec lists or resource collections. Playlists let you collect songs and other audio around a fannish theme and can be used to share fan-made soundtracks, podcast collections, and other audio compilations. If you'd like to learn more about these fanwork types, we have an FAQ on link collections and an FAQ on playlists. Ready to start sharing your work? You can add a link collection or add a playlist here.

As always, if you have questions about link collections, playlists, or anything at all, contact our mod team.

Series vs. Link Collections vs. Bookmarks vs. Favorites

One question we anticipate is when members should create a series or create a link collection. (Or use the site's bookmarks and favorites!)

Series have been a part of our site since the archive opened in 2007. Series allow you to collect multiple fanworks posted to the SWG archive into a single fanwork. While series can be used in myriad ways, they have traditionally been used to show the connection between related fanworks.

Link collections, on the other hand, allow you to gather links both within the SWG (similar to a series) and outside the SWG. Link collections can be used for a wide variety of purposes: organizing all of your related fanworks (regardless of where they are posted), resource collections, recommendation lists, collections of art or music that you use to inspire fanworks—and other ways we haven't even dreamed of yet!

Our archive also offers bookmarks and favorites. Bookmarks are stored in a private list of fanworks hosted on the SWG. Favorites are a public list of fanworks and creators whom you have marked as a favorite. Favorites can be found on your profile and are not listed as a fanwork. If you want your list of favorite fanworks to be searchable among the fanworks on the site, use a link collection or series instead. You can learn more about bookmarks and favorites here.

So What's Next?

So far in 2022, we've added artwork, link collections, and playlists to the site. Before the year's end, we hope that our site can host just about every imaginable fanwork.

And we are drawing close to meeting that goal. In the months to come, we will add one final fanwork type: video. Finally, we will create a means to share "multimedia" fanworks: fanworks that use more than one of the fanwork types in conjunction with each other. Examples of multimedia fanworks include a radio play that includes both a written script and recorded performance, artwork that accompanies a story, a video that accompanies a work of meta, or a playlist created as a companion to a novella.

As we develop these fanwork types, we will first solicit feedback from our members and then beta-test the new fanwork types on our test site. If you're interested in one or both of these roles, watch this space and our social media for more information. (A reminder that you can subscribe to our newsletter to get these announcements delivered right to your email inbox.)

Finally, thanks to Ettelenë and Himring, who served as beta testers for the new fanwork types, and the many people who provided input during the development process of the new fanwork types.


Posted on 11 June 2022 (updated 15 July 2022) by Dawn Felagund