Light Over the Mountain by pandemonium_213

| | |

Fanwork Notes

MEFA 2011 Banner

Banner by Russandol.

First, thanks to Darth Fingon for posting On the Twilit Planet Below which inspired me to post this on the SWG.  The genesis of Light Over the Mountain derives from Jael's comment on the Lizard Council in response to a bit in How the East Was Won.  Here is the excerpt that piqued her curiosity: 

Nothing was more important to him than control. In a remote time and place, he had been safe and loved, but that security had been shattered into fragments. He had witnessed the horrific deaths of those he had loved and who had loved him in turn, but he had survived because of an innate talent, one that the Valar had noticed, they who had been indirectly responsible for breaking his life into shards. The Guardians had taken him – young, confused and reeling from his loss – into their fosterage and made him into what he was. But the vision of that split second when the order of his world disintegrated had never left him. Nightmares of the horrible scene haunted him, and even since then, he struggled to gain control over his life and the world around him. He glanced at the pile of cushions again  — none of them out of place — and imagined a life of servitude in Aman where every moment of his existence would be under the exacting control and surveillance of others. He could not bear the thought.

Based on the above reference to How the East Was Won and a few other clues, the reader should be able to guess who the unnamed narrator is without too much difficulty.  With regard to the other children, check out the character list and then take a guess.  As for the sister, she's an OFC, but she plays a very important role in the Pandë!verse.  I am also being cryptic as to whom the narrator might be recounting the short tale and when he might be recounting it.  The events he describes take place before the Ainur enter Arda, that is, our Solar System according to JRRT in The History of Middle-earth, Vol X, Morgoth's Ring.

Be forewarned that it's pretty far out on the edge of my alternative history in which neither the Valar nor the Maiar are divine/angelic beings, although with their unusual characteristics and immense powers, they appear to be so to the Children of Iluvátar. Also to be considered is that the Ainulindalë is a creation myth and thus highly subject to interpretation. Please see ChosenUlmo's Wife, and Saltation for other stories deriving from this era of the Pandë!verse.

Many thanks to my pals on the Lizard Council for comments, critique and encouragement.

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Long before the Ainur entered the Circles of Arda, the Guardians, greatest of the Ainur, rescued an unusual group of children from a war-torn land.  In this series of vignettes, one of those rescued recounts the terrible events of his childhood that set him on a path to control his destiny and the world around him, a path that would lead to infamy.

MEFA 2011 Winner.  Second Place, Incomplete, Drama

Major Characters: Eönwë, Gandalf, Melkor, Original Character(s), Radagast, Saruman, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Science Fiction

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 1, 574
Posted on 21 February 2011 Updated on 21 February 2011

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


"These Guardians, our protectors who had let the enemies slip through the defenses to burn up our world, found other children."

This line very well sums up the fear and uncertainty if he could trust the Guardians or not. And the horror of his sudden loss.

Great, interesting interpretation of the history that became myth. :) Thank you for sharing. I'll be watching this.

A most intriguing story!  I think it could have been longer; it feels a bit like an episode in a miniseries; but the story is so imaginative and beautifully written that those are minor quibbles.  I love the sketchy portraits of the young narrator's mighty benefactor and his tent-mates - very good sketches of those individuals, indeed.  

And you know I want to see more of his sister in later Ages!

Thanks, Raksha!  Be assured I will keep adding to this series.  I love the challenge of having a "scientifictious" underpinning but described with more poetic language.  I try to imagine the narrator's attempts at explaining what would be very alien to a denizen of Middle-earth in terms that she or he would comprehend.

The sister will make an important appearance in The Elendilmir. :^)

Hey, I believe Spiced Wine mentioned me to you? Yeah, I'm finally getting around to reviewing your awesome 'verse, and have decided to do so in internal chronological order. So...

I cannot put in words how many feels I have for kid!Mairon. I just... :'( *hugs* *hugs rest of the Maiar*
The other children mentioned (apart from Mairëa) were Eönwë, Saruman, Radagast and Gandalf, in that order, right?

Hi, Khaosity!  Yes, indeed, Spiced mentioned you to me.  Thanks a million for tackling the Pandë!verse :^), and I really appreciate that you're reading these fics.  I'm afraid I have far too many WIPs (a bona fide Career™ cuts into my fan fic time :^D), and Light Over the Mountain is one of them.  That's not to say that I don't have very clear ideas of the next little vignette with young Mairon, his sister, and the other children.

Yes, that's exactly the right order!

Thanks again. :^)

 

 I absolutely love your backstory for Mairon and the valar! Your story is just so beautifully written, and the concept is great! I can't wait to see what happens to them and how it leads up to what happens to them in the future! I wonder what Gandalf thinks about Sauron in the future since they knew each other as kids.

 

Thank you so much, Yuhamara, for the lovely comment here and in response to my other fics!  Very much appreciated. 

My concept of the Valar and the Maiar is, well, a bit "out there," so I'm glad you gave this a chance. :^) 

I'll be back to respond to your other reviews, but for now, my work-related writing (dictated by regulatory agencies' deadlines) is calling...