Memories of Cuiviénen by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story was originally posted on LiveJournal on 21 December 2005. It was written as a holiday gift for Sirielle, who requested a story about Maedhros remembering the tales Finwë told the boys about Cuiviénen and his adventures there, either in Aman or in Sirion. Well, I didn't quite manage Sirion, but I got Aman and Middle-earth, at the rising of the the Silmaril in the West. The story was archived here on 4 August 2013, with minor revisions.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Long ago in Aman, Finwë told his young grandsons the legends of Cuiviénen, hoping that the lessons learned by the Elves in Middle-earth would guide them morally. Many centuries later, in Middle-earth, the sons of Fëanor have lost sight of those lessons, but the rising of a new star suggests all hope is not lost.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Fëanor, Finwë, Maedhros, Maglor, Sons of Fëanor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 348
Posted on 21 December 2005 Updated on 21 December 2005

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Okay, I'll say it now and probably again for all your other stories that I'll yet read: I love your writing. I absolutely love it and welcome the emotional stabwounds with my whole heart.

Especially the idea that 'their' stars disappear is a very good one, as it symbolizes exactly what they've done. Not that I don't love the Fëanorians, they're my favorite characters ;)

Anyway, I liked it.

Thank you for replying so fast and for welcoming!

I have known of this place for a long time already, but never really checked it out. I am glad I did, though. I read your bio just now and I think it's been a really good idea to make a place just for Silmarillion-fics.

'Though there is a problem I've encountered on this site: I can´t seem to add stories to my favorites, or anything like that. I tried to add  your story `Salt´, but somehow it didn´t work. Is there some box I need to tick or something?

On another note, I realized your version of the Sons of Fëanor (and probably a lot of other characters too), differs greatly from my take on it, and I enjoy reading as much different outlooks on them as possible :) I usually envision them as growing very close, especially during the dark times in Beleriand, where basically everyone else is at some point set against them.

I also had another question (I hope this reply does not become too long!): I am writing a fic of my own, and I am unsure whether it should be categorized as a 'Silmfic' or a Silmarillion-based fic, as it is basically about the Fëanorians becoming the Ringbearers, because Námo kicks them out of Mandos and Elrond has a soft spot for his foster-parents. It isn't finished by a long shot (though it is quite long already), but I wanted to ask all the same.

 

So. I hope you've read all my rambling (when I go off on a tirade I generally don't stop for the next five minutes), and are willing to help a newbie in need :)

Of course! That's what I'm here for. :)

When you attempt to add stories to your favorites, are you completing the process? When you click to add the story, it takes you to a second screen that allows you to leave a comment on why you've favorited the story; below the comment field is a SUBMIT button, which must be clicked to complete the process. Since it hides off-screen for most users, it is sometimes overlooked. If this is not the problem, could you let me know what actually happens when you try to add a favorite?

We have an FAQ on how we define Silmfic. If a Silmarillion character or character group plays a major role in a story, that fits our criteria, so your story would be more than acceptable. :) Also, we are extremely liberal and never look to remove stories unless there is absolutely no connection to the Silm. We really give authors the benefit of the doubt and lean toward inclusiveness.

If it is easier to communicate over email, do feel free to contact me with any follow-ups, if you prefer, at moderator@silmarillionwritersguild.org. :)

I actually haven't written the Feanorians too much in Beleriand, which probably sounds odd. I started in the Years of the Trees with my novel Another Man's Cage and kind of got stuck there! I view them as always close, with their decisions often motivated by loyalty toward or protectiveness of one another. That's why I think they followed Feanor (as did so many others) out of Aman: because the love for him was extremely intense, and they were willing to make considerable sacrifices on his behalf. I try to show that in a lot of my writing.

(I do very much appreciate the openness to other interpretations! Personally speaking, Silmfic is wonderful to me because, through others' visions of characters and events, it's like reading the story again for the first time.)

It was the Submit-button in my case, I didn't even see it x)

I shall contact you over the mail when I have further questions, so thank you in advance.

In my headcanon, they themselves too were obsessed with the Silmarils, in the same way Fëanor was, so their decisions are based upon what course of action is most likely to obtain them. In their execution of these plans, however, they are very close and loyal, trusting each other to guard their backs. But when there is a choice between the Silmarils and one of their lives, I think the Silmarils would take priority. Not because they think the Jewels are more important than each other, but simply because the Silmarils are worth so much more than a single life.

Personally, I haven't written that many Silmfics yet (I haven't written many fics in general), but when I do, it is almost always in Beleriand or Middle-Earth. To me Valinor is so... I wouldn't say stuck-up and pre-conceived, but those terms come close. Beleriand on the contrary is full of dangers and new things, problems that must be solved and generally more action and angst (with the exception of Swearing the Oath. How much more angst can you get?) I must probably say here I am against the whole idea of a 'perfect' place, and while Valinor wasn't perfect, it came close. To me there are and should be always everywhere and in every person both black and white, and most of all grey. That is the area I like most, as it offers insights in characters that would otherwise not be visible.

And there I went ranting again. I really can't stop it :)

Other's interpretations are basically what allow me to unconsciously form an image of a character, of how they act, what they think and what there goals are. Especially in The Silmarillion, Tolkien could be rather vague as to the characters' motives, and I need those other inputs to define the characters in my head. So I try to read as many different versions of them as I can (provided the story interests me, ofcourse).

If you want, I can send you the first chapter of my long, still-unfinished fic?

You're not the first on the Favorites issue, and I shudder to think how many people *think* they've saved a favorite and actually haven't completed the process. It's not one of the better-designed parts of the software. I'm getting ready to go on a hiatus till spring while I write my Master's thesis, but when I return, seeing if we can tinker with the software to improve the layout of the Favorites page is on my agenda.

I think our difference in preferred settings lies with how we view Aman. I don't see Aman as a perfect realm. I see it as a realm that is *depicted* as a perfect realm, kind of like one might advertise a manicured gated community in Florida without mentioning the alligators in the pools and the hurricanes. :) But in my Felakverse, there is a lot wrong with Aman, not least of all the discontent that many of its residents feel (even if they don't know why they feel it or won't admit it to themselves). In my verse, the Noldor especially feel useless: After all, their creations can't ever really *improve* their world or make anyone's lives better beyond simply adding adornment to that world or pleasure to already contented lives. They yearn for something more. Just like the Ainur, they want to see their skills actually shape the world around them for the better. I don't see Melkor causing the discord among the Noldor so much as exploiting what was already there. Part of the interest in using Aman as a setting, for me, is the tension between what Aman is supposed to be and what it actually is to the people who must live there. I think it would create a lot of psychological complexity: to be born in what you are told is the best place in the world, safe and sheltered and coddled and ... unhappy?

In Feanor's story particularly, it occurred to me early on in my writing career that it must have been especially difficult to not only lose a mother but to do so in a place that is called the Deathless Realm and where grief isn't even really acknowledged. I'd imagine he felt the disconnect between appearances and reality in Aman very early on and that this influenced him later. That is definitely something that shows up a lot in my stories.

I do love writing in M-e too; I just very rarely actually get there! XD I tend to get stuck in Aman. I wanted to write the story of the house of Feanor and spent 350K words on one year in Aman.

I still have some time before I go on hiatus so I'd love to look at the chapter if you want to share! :) My personal email is DawnFelagund@gmail.com.