On Such A Night As This by polutropos

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the challenge Manwë's Mailbag using the postcard and poem below as a prompt (designed by Independence1776).

three photos - one of fireflies in a forest, one of a hill with glowing homes, and one of a view of a starry sky from a small inlet

Elves on such a night as this
Spin their rings upon the grass;
On the beach the water-fay
Greets her lover with a kiss;
Through the air swift spirits pass,
Laugh, caress, and float away.

~ Emma Lazarus, A June Night

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Two friends discuss their fears and hopes on the shores of Cuiviénen. 

Major Characters: Elu Thingol, Finwë

Major Relationships: Finwë & Thingol

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Manwë's Mailbag

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 921
Posted on 20 December 2022 Updated on 23 December 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Enellië - people of Enel, the firstborn of the Third Clan, the Nelyar
Tatalië - people of Tata, the firstborn of the Second Clan, the Tatyar

I am using the notes given in The Nature of Middle-earth for the lineage of the Elves (Ch. XVII), the version in which Finwë and Elwë are of the 25th generation in direct descent from the first elves of their respective clans to awake. This note also says Elmo (Elwë’s third brother) was born on the March, so I haven’t included him. 

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love this! It's such a wonderful little scene, and a great study of both characters and their relationship, and their hopes and dreams and fears. The foreshadowing for both is really well done--it really hurts to think of what's to come for both of them, especially in the face of Finwe's optimism!

Just popping another comment here to add that apart from the story and theme, their interaction and intimacy, which generate a depth of feeling and not a few thoughts, I so love all the little details that make it so alive, so visible and multidimensional.

I really enjoyed reading about their close relationship and their thoughts about love and having children. A lot of foreboding in this fic, but neither of them really can see how it will go for them.

Beautifully visualized!

There is so much dramatic irony in their conversation, especially towards the end, but it doesn't take away from how movingly their friendship is described in the present moment.

Thanks so much! Unfortunately I can't help but read poor Finwe as a little naive. I fee like he would have made different choices if his foresight interpretation skills had been a little better... one would hope at least. And I like the contrast with Thingol, who is maybe a little too cynical about his foresight, contributing to the canonical suspicion and fear.