Indy's B2MeM Stories by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Unlike my other collections, I'm not giving a rating for each individual story, as the collection is divided by year instead of one story per chapter. The Teen rating is for some stories within individual years, with the rest rated General.

2013’s two stories are posted elsewhere on the archive, as they’re either part of a longer ‘verse or a multi-chapter fic.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A collection of my Back to Middle-earth Month stories. Each chapter is a different year.

2019: Maglor visits Elrond after Gil-galad's death. Triple drabble.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Daeron, Elrond, Elros, Elwing, Fëanor, Finarfin, Findis, Fingolfin, Idril, Lalwen, Maedhros, Maglor, Melkor, Nerdanel, Original Character(s), Tuor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Crossover, Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet, General, Humor, Poetry

Challenges: B2MeM 2009, B2MeM 2010, B2MeM 2011, B2MeM 2012, B2MeM 2014, B2MeM 2015, B2MeM 2016, B2MeM 2018, B2MeM 2019

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 11, 098
Posted on 31 March 2012 Updated on 29 March 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Some of these have been reworked into other stories.

“Negotiations” has been slightly reworked into a “Sparks” story. The stories that don’t belong on this archive are posted here, as is one Silm-based story that I hope to rework and expand one day.

Two stories written for this year are posted elsewhere on the archive.

A Change in the Wind: A slice-of-life of Maglor on market day in an Avarin community. Rated General. (Written for the prompt Under the High Sky by MirachRavaia.)

Many thanks to Elleth for both the Avarin names and the idea that Maglor has Avarin relatives on Mahtan’s side of the family. My thanks also to LadyLunas for looking this over.

There are two stories posted in this chapter-- a Maglor and Elrond ficlet (rated General) and a Nerdanel/Fëanor Cuiviénen AU double drabble (rated Teens, warning for mature themes).

A graphic (of the Prophecy of the North) and a Teen-rated (for sexuality) Maglor/canonical wife drabble.

This was written for the 2018 initial prompt "crossing the ocean."

Maglor, Lalwen, and an invitation during Númenor's seven hundredth anniversary of its founding. Ficlet. Rated General.

Maglor visits Elrond after Gil-galad's death. Rated General. Triple drabble.

Prompts: G48, Maglor Through History, the death of Gil-galad and N42, Four Words 2, early, skyline, almost, mask

My main fic this year was "Fear No Darkness," a Silmarillion-Star Wars fusion, but I also wanted to write something set in Middle-earth. Hence this drabble.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh goodness - with the prevalent discussion in the tumblr-based part of fandom being (once again) Tolkien and sexism, "Annoyed" very much hit a nerve for me - giving the erased women their much-deserved voices. It may be breaking the fourth wall more than I'd be strictly comfortable with in other fic, but in this it serves a great purpose, and it's... a very satisfactory drabble on the whole.

On a lighter note, I'm still laughing about the crossover ficlet. It made me giggle during the bingo challenge, and didn't fail to do so again. :D

(Trying this again… I think I hit the wrong button.) It broke the fourth wall more than *I* normally feel comfortable with. (But the Bingo challenge seemed ripe for that sort of thing.) I'm glad you find it satisfying, especially given the Tumblr discussion. (Which I'm honestly glad to be missing.)

 

:D I'm thrilled to hear that!

This is an interesting bit of world-building. I like the setting and the village and Maglor setting his routine. There are a lot of nice touches--it actually sounds fairly pleasant to me, although it must lonely and lacking in excitement. I don't really know what it would feel like being a Feanorian after all hope has been lost.I haven't tried to write that yet. (I've stuck to the before and much later!)

That's for sharing the vision with us.

Thank you! It's meant to be pleasant, actually. I wanted to write a non-angsty (well, minimally angsty) wandering tale for once! I actually don't think it's lonely: Maglor's an introvert who's spent the paste few centuries alone. And he has relatives and friends who won't let him sink back into his shell. Plus, there is a war brewing. (And after everything that happened in Beleriand, a lack of excitement would be a good thing.)

I also don't think it's "after all hope is lost." He *chose* to give up the Silmaril. Not having it or the Oath hanging over his head gives him a chance to start over (once Lill knocked the idea of "shouldn't be here" out of his head, anyway). But this is me and my perpetual love of Maglor wandering stories talking, so I may have a different perspective on the whole thing. :)

I remember several of these from 2012 (particularly the haiku, which I got a kick out of), but I don't seem to recall the Jedi one.

"...their cover story of a traveling duo of singers/songwriters. And all to infiltrate a crime syndicate based on a backwater planet who used the entertainment industry as their cover."

Haha! cracktastic, yet well considered. Rival Jedi musician Elves would need some reason to be on a ship together.

Thank you about the haiku; I was fairly sure it's forgetable, so I'm glad to know it's not.

You actually reviewed it on LJ! (I'm not surprised you forgot, given how busy the comm was. I honestly can't tell you a single fic I reviewed then, though I know I did.) Cracktastic all the way! :D Thank you!

Awww! Lalwen, how sneaky - but what a lovely idea, since she knew that both Maglor and Nerdanel happened to be on the island.

Of course, now I really wish I could read what happens next! What are they going to talk about? Will Maglor decide to go home with Nerdanel? Will they part, but stay in touch while they can? Where is he going to go next? And what will Lalwen do? So many questions! :D

My Lalwen is very sneaky! I tend to think of her as a bit of a prankster.

I'm going to disappoint you: I ended the story when I did because I couldn't figure out how to write their conversation (writing is hard!) and also because the ending was them parting with her sailing back to Aman and him back to Endor and I wasn't in the mood to write sad. This was supposed to be a much longer story when I came up with the idea a couple of years ago, but the details kept changing and then they leaked out of my head almost entirely.

I can say that the two of them spend rather a lot of time together over the course of the next couple of weeks, that Maglor gets invited to a private dinner with Tar-Elendil and his family (awkward conversations ensue), that there's a small museum of artifacts from the founding, that Lalwen is also around because she's just as interested in what Maglor's been up and maybe repairing a bit of the family relationship. Maybe even Elrond is there, but I tend to think that the Elves in Lindon didn't sail to Númenor, and I like it better with just the Aman Elves.

:D