Awesome Ladies by daughterofshadows

| | |

Galadriel - wise and foolish

Galadriel is a fool and a wise woman, and sometimes one looks much like the other.

Four moments - coming to Beleriand, her studies under Melian, a dwarrow surprise, and leaving Beleriand behind.


She has always had a rebellious streak, craved more than the life in Tirion, the life in Valinor could give her.

It is no surprise she leaves when finally given the chance, even though their departure is drenched in blood.

Artanis looks at the men in her life and knows she can do better than them. She was meant to rule.

Let them see her worth beyond wisdom and beauty, let them see the strength in her bones.

It is only in Beleriand that she learns the truth.

She is as much of a fool as the rest of them.

 


Elu Thingol declares them kin and welcomes them to Doriath.

It is a high honour, and Galadriel finds many things in these strange woods.

She finds Celeborn, who treats her like a queen and whose wit matches her own.

Their love blooms quickly under the shadowy trees, and they will remain together through many hardships.

She also finds a mentor in Melian.

The maia has many things to say, and Galadriel learns even more from her silence.

She learns when to speak the truth, and when to keep her own counsel.

It is the most important lesson of them all.

 


She is the black sheep of the family, the outlier, the anomaly.

Against all odds, she survives.

Around her, her family is cut down one by one, until she is the last one left standing.

Sometimes, it feels more like a punishment than a blessing.

But there are good things, too.

Her husband is one of them. Her daughter another.

She is respected, trusted, admired.

Life still surprises her.

She doesn’t expect Gimli, doesn’t expect a dwarf and an elf to be friends, not enemies.

Galadriel gives him three strands of her hair, and a blessing.

The future looks bright.

 


They sit on the beach.

No longer are they lords and ladies, leaders of Middle-Earth. They are simply Galadriel and Celeborn, Elrond and Círdan.

The time of the elves comes to an end. Tomorrow, they will set sail, leaving behind these lands of pain and sorrow, of joy and hope.

Galadriel tilts her head back, letting Arien’s light warm her face.

Elrond’s voice rises above the crashing waves, quiet at first, but growing louder with each word.

“But since it fell into my lot, that I shall rise and you shall not…”

She joins him.

It is a bitter-sweet goodbye.


Chapter End Notes

The prompts were:

Galadriel +

1. Don't care what the old man say

2. Speak the Truth

3. Black sheep

4. Raise a little

 

The song they are singing in the last drabble is obviously Parting Glass, whichever version you like best.

I'm partial to the version by Colm McGuinness.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment