Awesome Ladies by daughterofshadows

| | |

Lúthien - her life, death and life again

Canonical Beren & Lúthien levels of angst.

Rather than being chronologically more or less immediately after each other, these drabbles span Lúthien's life from early childhood all the way to just after the birth of Dior.


She watches him walk away and hates herself just a little for breaking his heart. But Daeron is her brother, and her love will never be more than that.

It is the first time she sees that love causes pain.

Lúthien does not yet know it, but that pain will accompany her for the rest of her life.

She meets it again, when her father tries to lock her up, desperate to keep her safe, but cutting her wings, nonetheless.

And it is the pain of love that will claim her life, but that is a story for another time.

 


A silver mist covers the glade, and dew drops wet the hem of her dress, but Lúthien cares little for the water as she dances across the grass.

She sings with the nightingales and greets the new dawn with a smile, and when the sun peeks out behind the clouds, she rests on a rock and lets her dress dry.

Around her the forest wakes up.

Lúthien knows no greater joy, no greater peace than these early morning hours.

Her heart beats in time with the forest’s, and for a moment she just is.

This is what happiness feels like.

 


Angband is dark. Darker than any place Lúthien’s ever seen.

It holds terrors beyond measure.

But she will not submit to the fear crawling up her spine. Not tonight.

Morgoth holds no dominion over her.

She is Melian’s daughter, half maia, half elf, and she will bow to no one.

Her song slips into the halls quietly, twisting and turning the strands of reality; as gentle as a mother’s touch, it lures everyone to sleep.

She is a dream maker. Not even Morgoth can resist her.

The silmarils shine bright in the darkness.

At last, they have found their quarry.

 


When it is all over, after they survived Morgoth, and fought death itself, Lúthien takes Beren’s hand, leads him out into the forest and asks him to dance.

And dancing through the woods, they remember their first meeting, and he calls her Tinúviel again, her name falling from his lips like a prayer.

She watches every sunrise, singing with the nightingales again, and she thinks her happiness could grow no further, but when she holds her son in her arms for the first time, she is proven wrong.

And Beren cradles him against his chest, and they all dance together.


Chapter End Notes

This time the prompts were

Lúthien +

1. I hate myself for loving you

2. Freespace, for which Himring prompted me: "at her feet was strewn a mist of silver quivering"

3. Dream Maker

4. Dance with me


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment