Back to the Surface by chrissystriped

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the "Rejects"-Challenge. Prompt: "Elwing’s Silmaril remains in the sea (“Sketch of the Mythology”)"

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Two dwarves have a special catch in their nets. Old oaths and curses need a solution before the last witnesses of the First Age sail to the West.

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Dís, Dwarves, Elrond, Gandalf

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges: Rejects

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 192
Posted on 30 April 2023 Updated on 30 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

chrissystriped has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Oh this was so delightful!!! I loved all the details you put in - Gandalf's chat with Osse had me absolutely cackling!  Dis's sorrow at unmaking such a thing was so deep.  But I *love* Elrond reuniting with Elwing, Maedhros, Maglor, and of course most of all Celebrian <3

What a fantastic fic from the prompt!

This was absolutly beautiful!! I truly think that before moving one should close a circle of events and Elrond finding the Silmaril feels exactly like this! And I'm super proud both of Elwing and Maedhros and Maglor that they have succeded in talking to themselves and clear all the stuff from the past!! And Elrond of course is the bestest boy <3 all of them agree on this point! 

It was beautiful!!

Dis is splendid here. I really feel for her having to deal with this heirloom and its dangers and temptations!

And I'm glad that the others through cooperation managed to sort out an unbloody last act for that Silmaril!

Oh, how bittersweet for Dis, to see one of the great works of the dwarves and then have to unmake it. But if there was no other way to deal with the curse...

The Valar better not have other plans after making us deal with this when we were already almost on the boat.

You tell 'em, Elrond!