The Silver Road by Elleth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Adlanth for the RareWomen 2013 fic exchange.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After Míriel's release from Mandos, she departs for the House of Vairë, but who - and what - helped her come to that decision?

Major Characters: Findis, Indis, Míriel Serindë, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 172
Posted on 5 May 2013 Updated on 5 May 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Many of the observations, as well as the bookend paragraphs in italics, are taken directly from the Silmarillion and the various texts about Finwë and Míriel in Morgoth's Ring.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


 

You almost made me understand why Miriel would withdraw from the world. I have to face that I am not likely to identify with that withdrawal. Loved the interaction between Miriel and Indis. I loved her meeting Nerdanel along the road and that they identified with one another.

I liked this so much.

Míriel rolled the lace carefully, to avoid snapping even a single thread. Dissatisfied though she was, it remained her work, and loving the works of their own minds and bodies too much had ever been a fault of the Noldor. She set it aside and went in search of Indis.

I died when I read that! That I do identify with, being attached to the product of one's labor even when one is not entirely pleased with it.

Needless to say, it is beautifully written.


Thank you so much, Oshun! I'm glad the story worked for you despite the problems identifying with Míriel's withdrawal. Like you, I found it hard to believe that she would just do so again after just returning from her stay in Mandos, so I tried to fit an explanation in between the italicized bookends of the story that are taken directly from canon. From then on out she became a surprisingly interesting character to write, especially in connection with Indis, and it became a lot easier to find a satisfactory motivation via her craft. Again, thank you!

Thank you very much, Himring. I think the word 'gorgeous' makes some sort of sense, since I tried to make the story open-ended as much as canon allowed for, so it didn't end on an irredeemably sad note, and with at least a little consolation for both Indis and Míriel. I'm glad the working descriptions resonated so strongly with you, since it was interesting to research and write all sorts of textile crafts (something that I'm not at all skilled in), and Nerdanel came as a(n albeit welcome surprise); she wasn't even present in the original outline - but she and Míriel certainly would have much to discuss.

Again, thank you.