the light that you keep burning there by EchoBleu

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Inspired by the image prompt I was given for the Dip the Ladle Challenge (Illustration of a Swiss lake village on fire by Léon Berthoud, 1867).

Posted on AO3 here.

I've had for a while in my head the idea of a canon divergence where the second and third kinslaying don't happen, because the Fëanorians recovered the Silmarils much sooner. A bunch of other characters also live to see the end of the War of Wrath -- I have tentative plans for the entire 500-ish years of the First Age after the rising of the sun, but being me, I started essentially at the end.

Title from King by The Amazing Devil.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Havens of Sirion burn, and it is not the Sons of Fëanor’s doing.

Maedhros, Maglor and Fingon, in the years between the fall of the Havens and the arrival of the Host of the Valar.

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships: Fingon/Maedhros, Maedhros & Maglor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama

Challenges: Dip the Ladle

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 061
Posted on 29 July 2023 Updated on 29 July 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love this, with Maedhros giving Elwing a Silmaril to take to Eärendil in order to have leverage asking for the Valar's help. With both his twin brothers, and hers, dying in battle, he and Maglor raise Elrond and Elros. But the help that eventually comes from the West is more than a bit arrogant and entitled. Fascinating. 

Oh my, I feel like this was a wild ride! It was absolutly beautiful! I love how you have depicted the Son of Feanor and it was so terriblhy sad Ambarussa', Elured and Elurin ends...

I would love to read more of the early years...maybe Maglor trying to rescue Maedhros and needing rescuing in turn. I will come beakc to read it surely :)