Tolkien Fanartics: Mapping Arda, Part II

Tolkien Fanartics: Mapping Arda, Part II, Journeys through Beleriand by Anerea

Many readers mention the vast expanse of time covered by The Silmarillion. Less often mentioned is the vast expanse of geography. Spanning three continents, The Silmarillion is a series of tales that, more often than not, center on migrations and battles that involve moving groups across the landscape or heroes undertaking long-distance quests across awe-inspiring terrain.

In this month's Tolkien Fanartics column, Anérea turns to the land mass at the center of most Silmarillion tales: Beleriand. From the sky-stabbing peaks of Thangorodrim down the shores of the Great Sea, Beleriand is a realm whose forests, mountains, and rivers shape the lives and journeys of the people of The Silmarillion. Selecting maps from seven fan cartographers, Anérea considers the various ways that fans use the variety of canon details left by Tolkien—maps, stories, and even data—to visualize his world anew. Their maps stand as fanworks in their own right, while their original depictions of the familiar stories can also inspire and inform new fanworks in turn.

You can read Anérea's "Mapping Arda, Part II: Travels through Beleriand here.


Posted on 2 December 2023 (updated 6 January 2024) by SWG Moderators