Exile to Exile by Elleth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Many thanks to Shadowbrides for her last-minute beta! ♥

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After the Darkening not nearly all past resentments are extinguished, and Nerdanel begins to receive comfort from an unexpected source – and give some in return. - A gift fic for Dawn Felagund's request for the 2013 MPTT Yule Exchange: A story set during the Time of the Trees or the First Age about friendship between two (or more!) women of the House of Finwë.

Major Characters: Míriel Serindë, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 249
Posted on 1 January 2014 Updated on 1 January 2014

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I seriously thought I reviewed this! It is a lovely story. I really enjoyed it. There is a lot of subtlety in the construction of the setting and the ambience in which the story unfolds. The characterization is also subtle and not at all obvious. One is left wanting to read more and a wonderful curiosity about what happens next, how and why. It is lovely to take known canon characters and give them a mysterious past. (I have read future fics from you about them. But this has a lovely pre-history feel to it.)

You did on MPTT, but thank you again for leaving another! (I'm a glutton for reviews anyway, so more than one doesn't hurt. ;))

Thank you so much for mentioning the pre-historic feeling as well! I've always felt that, with the known action shifting to Beleriand after the Exile of the Noldor, Aman did become removed into a mythical or pre-historic realm of sorts both for th people who left and for the ones who stayed and got to see it in a different light (literally), so I tried to transport some of that as backdrop to the story, and glad it came across.

And you know a review from you always is high praise, so thank you again on all the other terms as well!

This is fantastic!! I love the interplay between Nerdanel and Miriel, and how neither of them is sure initially how to begin or react. You really give a nice view of Nerdanel's mental state at the beginning, as well.

I especially like the point about Miriel being away from other elves for so long that she's begun to forget how they act, and that she's beginning to think a bit like the valar and maiar she spends all her time with. That makes a lot of sense.

I like how Nerdanel asks for a bit of proof, too. It makes her reactions seem more realistic. The mystery regarding the appearance and disappearance of letters is nice, too.

This was really an amazing story!