To Whatever End by Grundy

| | |

A Shooting Star


Finwë observed the bright flash across the sky, and regretted once again that he had no way to record such things. Memory was all well and good, and could be shared later, but they were seeing so much new on this journey that he wasn’t sure he’d remember to tell all of it.

The dancing lights in the heavens far off to the north had been far more memorable with their riotous colors, but he found this single star whizzing across the sky more fascinating.

“The Starkindler is eager to see you as well.”

He turned his head to find the Great Rider had not missed what had captured his attention.

They had learned much from him on the ride to the Sea, and continued to learn as they crossed the immense water. If the others of his kind are similar, there is knowledge beyond measure awaiting them at journey’s end.

Finwë is not entirely sure knowledge given is the same as knowledge gained – the names the Rider gave some plants were not the names the quendi called them, and while the Rider could tell them easily enough which ones were good to eat, he did not know all the uses they had devised or discovered for them.

But they can surely still find new knowledge for themselves, perhaps even more than they otherwise would, given there will be no shadow hunting them on the far side of the Sea? And one can build on knowledge just as one can on ground, so they can still add to whatever may be given to them.

“Indeed? Could you tell me more of her? And of your other kindred, Aromez?”

The chuckle means he has still not gotten the odd name correct, but perhaps he is improving.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment