To Whatever End by Grundy

| | |

An Unexpected Visitor


“It…he says there are others like him, across the Sea.”

Finwë frowns.

It may well be true. But it may equally be another snare. They’ve lost too many already to such tricks. Of the elves who originally awoke by the water, only half remain.

On the ‘perhaps true’ side, this rider has yet to do anything but talk to them. The other rider does not speak, only leads the unwary astray.

On the ‘perhaps snare’ side, what better way to snap up many more at once rather than in ones and twos than to convince them all in one swoop that they are going somewhere safe, where the shadow can no longer prey on them?

“I mean to go,” Elwë continued. “So does Ingwë.”

Finwë grimaced.

“You’re too curious by half, and Ingwë too trusting,” he snorted.

“Yes, well, that’s why I thought we should get you to come along,” Elwë grinned. “You’re the thinker-planner-reasoner.”

“That needs a single word, not three,” Finwë sighed.

“Good, figure one out on the way,” Elwë suggested, clapping him on the shoulder. “Face it, you have to come.”

“And if it’s a trap?” Finwë asked, already knowing he was stuck for it either way if the other two were both agreed.

“Then you not coming back will be a warning no one can ignore,” Elwë said soberly. “Can’t say the same for us, can you?”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment