Come Together, Broken Things, and Grow by UnicornsInSpace

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is the first chapter of my Meet and Greet Matryoshka challenge fic.

Prompts I Used: A fresh start, New kid on the block, It could have been worse, An unexpected visitor, A minor catastrophe, You’re better than this, The road goes ever on

Warnings: There is canonical character death in this fic, but they die in slightly different ways than in canon (not Finduilas, Niënor, or Mablung), and at least one human character dies of old age. Also, there are scenes that take place during the Fall of Nargothrond and the Third Kinslaying, and there are a few off-screen run-ins with Glaurung. Also, the Fall of Doriath is very quickly mentioned in the opening paragraph, so there is violence, but it is not explained graphically.

That said, a big thanks to Grundy for letting me only post the first chapter for a stamp (this story ended up being way longer than I anticipated) and also to Ettelenë from the discord for beta-reading my first chapter! Also to everyone from the Guild of Scribes discord and the people in the SWG discord who helped me with my writing!

Lastly, Meleth is my OC who is a Halenthir baby and looks like Nerdanel, but was raised by Haleth and Aredhel. She is from my TRSB fic Ladies Love a Huntress on AO3.

Hope everyone enjoys. Without further ado, the fic!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Idril and Meleth (my OC) welcome Finduilas, Niënor, and other refugees into Havens after the Fall of Doriath, hoping they can start anew there. Finduilas's daughter is distraught about the situation. Also, how did Finduilas and Niënor make it to the Havens after the Fall of Doriath?

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Finduilas, Idril, Mablung, Nienor

Major Relationships: Mablung/Nienor, Oropher/Unnamed Canon Character, Finduilas & Original Character, Idril & Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Alternate Universe, Drama, Family, General, Het, Poly, Romance, Slash, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: Meet & Greet

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 067
Posted on 12 March 2024 Updated on 12 March 2024

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Thanks Spurious Dipthong and Nienna Wept on discord for the advice on "just throwing people in and slowly worldbuilding"! Really helped me get out of a "too many ideas" writing paralysis and start this chapter.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh my! This really is a Who's Who of the Havens! I just love that so many survived and have arrived here, and hope that little Eluréd and Elutín do too! And oooh! Mablung with Nienor!! Wonderful so many little Peredhil, yet so much future heartbreak too. And I adore your description of Elwing! Lovely!