A Special Find by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My original prompt for Meet & Greet was: "A fresh start". I used "Murphy's law kicks in" to write a drabble at the Insta-drabbling session and then constructed a longer fic around the drabble, using my original prompt and "something never seen before". I used several others of the prompts to write the summary, as they turned out to fit the plot I ended up with.

There strictly isn't anything explicitly described in the piece itself that needs warning for, I think, or a Teens rating. It is more what you make of some of the hints, as a reader.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Minor catastrophes cluster on the site of an archaeological dig and someone even gets hurt. But it could be worse, as an unexpected arrival changes the course of events. Then something happens in the middle of the night... And it turns out that our heroine can't tell anybody, at least not in (academic) print.

Now with bonus gapfiller from Maglor's point of view.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Meet & Greet

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 1, 660
Posted on 12 March 2024 Updated on 14 April 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

This gapfiller is from Maglor's point of view and fills in a bit of background.

(It was originally written for Feanorian Week on Tumblr.)

 

Content warnings: References to canonical brutal exploitation by Numenorean invaders of Middle-earth, who also worshipped Morgoth and Sauron. More explicit than the main story but still non-graphic.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like this a lot--particularly Maglor coming around to make sure everyone at the dig is okay. And the idea of an old Black Numenorean settlement is fascinating! I wonder what sort of things are left to find there.

I would like the further adventures of Sally-Ann and Dr. Fëanorion, please, because surely they go on to unearth more treasures together. Besides, this fits nicely with my "Maglor, underwater archaeologist" headcanon, and surely will result in the rediscovery of "Atlantis."

Anyway, lovely, and has whole worlds in this small fic!

Thank you very much! Really glad you liked my two protagonists' dynamic and the archaeological theme!

I left lots to the reader's imagination here.

I'm not sure whether any further adventures will ever happen. I'm not a very plotty writer and don't often commit to action scenes. But who knows? I like to revisit OCs, once they have popped up in a fic!

Maglor as underwater archaeologist is a great idea I'd read, though!

This is not that, but a piece you might enjoy: Huinare's The Doggerland Skull

 

Oh my! So the Curse/Doom lingers on through the aeons!  Murphy was just opportunistic when he took credit.

I like where this took us, with Black Númenoreans, moon runes and all — and it must have been quite startling to hear Maglor start singing words of power out the blue. I'm glad he's still around, helping here and there.

Glad you enjoyed the mix of canonical allusions here!

Maglor's song of power must have been startling indeed, except I suppose Sally-Ann was a bit prepared for song magic already, because Maglor had also been using it at night before. But to actually see it working would have been something else!

That original comment about Murphy's Law and the Doom was written very intuitively, in the drabble. I don't mean they are the same exactly, I think, but that there is an overlap, a kind of Venn's diagram, that Maglor is acknowledging. I have Beleg comment elsewhere that the Noldor seem to feel that they are being published directly even when things just go wrong in what Beleg feels is a more "ordinary" way (which could still have to do with Morgoth and the Marring originally, of course).

 

 

Poor thing. It would be frustrating to have found something so exciting (moon letters!) on the archaeological dig, only to have it neutralised by her newest employee, the mysterious Maglor. I love that he just drops in on them, mainly because digging up artefacts on a Black Númenorean site could be lethal to humans. 💗