It comes in Threes by cílil

| | |

Throuple + veni vidi vici

On Almaren, Mairon finds various lovers; in his hubris, he wants them all.


The first time Mairon acquires a lover, it is purely by happenstance.

It is Arien who seeks him out, who comes to him when he is by himself and makes the effort to get to know him.

He is the only fire spirit left beside her, and she desperately craves a companion who understands her, Mairon knows. But he too grows fond of her — her grace, her pride, her temper, her nature that is so similar to his own.

And it's a comfortable position to be in, to be sought after by one of Almaren's most admired and desirable Maiar.

 

Eönwë has been watching them, both him and Arien. Mairon has long since seen his longing glances and observed his attempts to be near either of them, visiting Vána's meadows and Aulë's forges to talk to them under some pretence.

His attention, too, is flattering, much like Arien's, as he's the chief of the Maiar and renowned for his strength in battle.

Arien thinks of him as a cute little toy. Mairon agrees. They decide together that they want him.

Eönwë is overjoyed when they embrace him, having expected rejection; yet now he's a part of the love he desired. 

 

Melkor has little consideration for Mairon's Maiarin lovers and thinks himself the victor of any competition before it has even begun.

At first Mairon is irate and rejects him, but later he begrudgingly sees a strange wisdom in his stance. For would he not be a fool to trade a Vala for a few Maiar, lovers he so easily acquired no less?

To become Melkor's would be effortless, Mairon thinks, but to claim him on his own terms would be a challenge.

The willful Vala has his own plans, but in his hubris, he wants him for his collection still. 


Chapter End Notes

Thanks for reading! :)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment