Windborne by Keiliss

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the 2014 LotR Secret Santa to the request:

Pairing(s)/Character(s): Elwing, Elwing/Earendil, or any of the halfelven really
Scenario/Prompt: I leave it entirely up to the author/artist


Fanwork Information

Summary:

In the lands that are called Undying, Elwing still trusts her gut.

Major Characters: Elrond, Elwing, Eärendil, Gil-galad

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Mystery

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 421
Posted on 15 March 2015 Updated on 15 March 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Part story, part character study. I love Elwing, she has such a huge story and survived so much horror. 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Cutting and pasting this comment, slightly edited, from the first time I read it a short while ago--perhaps I am sharing with a few new readers here.   This is amazing. I once thought that nobody could ever make me like Elwing (never mind me and my thing about parents' responsibility to care for their children trumping all other concerns!). Well, a few years back you changed my mind about her by showing her as the fragile, damaged, and managed beggar child queen, sheltered and treated with reverence, but still safeguarded for her heritage than ever truly cherished for herself alone. With this story, you've extended my view of her further once again!

I still want to read it more thoughtfully. It is beautifully done. That ending literally caused me to gasp aloud!

This time though, unlike the others, she had a voice, a vessel to work through, for in this fragile child with the strain of Maian blood resided power barely dreamed of by other elves.

She is still being used here! But I somehow I found Vairë the Weaver attractive and not at all repellent, despite the way she utilizes Elwing.

For a moment she looked down at Elwing, concern vying with satisfaction across her sweet face. Small of stature was the Weaver, with nut-brown hair and bright, hazel eyes, but something in those eyes belied her gentle looks and hinted at a will of steel.

There is so much to love about this story. I particularly like Elwing's glimpse Elrond--the entire experience is so beautiful, poignant, despite ultimately being so painful for her.

He turned his head suddenly and seemed to look directly at her, small lines crinkling his forehead above the long elegant nose that was so like her father’s. She stared at him, willed him to see across the distance, to go to where Círdan stood and look into the other stone, but it was no use. He gave his head a brief shake and turned back to the conversation, but there was an unease that showed in the way he was seated now, which she knew almost as though she had watched him grow up after all.

“I love you,” she whispered into the nothingness that lay between them.

Eeps! I cannot say that stories often make me cry--but these few lines did.

I want to think about it more. Congrats on a wonderful, wonderful story. That must have taken a lot out of you!

Thank you for reposting this wonderful review here.  As I've said elsewhere, the fact that you saw another side to her after reading this means a great deal to me. I can't write her often. I have such a strong sense of her that I could get a bit lost if I did a long story, so instead I seem to be writing her life in small pieces.

The story of Earendil and Elwing has always been one of the least satisfactory of Tolkien's stories to me, mostly because I find the idea of being destined to serve a greater purpose by basically abandoning your family nauseating at best, and having constantly observed its function in real life, I've only ever found that it is an idea that has destroyed much more than it has ever saved or created.

That being said, your story does much to illumine a character who's motivations always seemed strange to me, if for no other reason than she is not that sharply drawn by Tokien to begin with. More than that it is beautifully written, and the personality you've given Elwing here is very sympathetic and understandable. It's hard to tell whether she is really the master of her own desires, even from her own perspective, and that might be the underlying tradgedy of it all, especially since what is considered her bravest and possibly most necessary action could also be considered her most selfish and irresponisble.

On top of all of that, you once again build everything with little details, such as Elwing counting the stairs in the tower, and you always seem to know which details to convey to paint your literary picture. Well done, yet again.

I think Tolkien wrote Elwing and Earendil more as ciphers rather than going into who they were, what might be driving them - I get so frustrated when he does this. I used to find Earendil easier to understand - the darkness had them hemmed into one small corner of middle-earth and somehow someone had to get help from the west, but it was only after I saw a drabble pulling Elwing apart as a cold, uncaring mother that I started to think about her seriously. I wrote a few pieces set when she was very young -- fey, traumatised, and used as a figurehead by the remnant of her people - and this entire complex young girl was suddenly 'there' for me. I'm glad you found the story interesting and enjoyed reading it, and your kind words are very much appreciated. Thank you so much :)