Something Back by Keiliss

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Features Gil-galad with Erestor/Gildor and anyone else who wanted to show up

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Because life is full of unlikely surprises, Market day on the island of Balar brings a few unexpected guests.

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Erestor, Gil-galad, Gildor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 663
Posted on 9 July 2015 Updated on 9 July 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, this is wonderful! I love this version of their story as you write it here. What a delight. I particularly appreciate it because I love the stories you have written which included Elwing and Gil-galad.

Great lines here:

“He said it was time for us to go back where we belonged,” one of the boys said softly in careful Sindarin. They had been standing to one side, almost forgotten while the men and Gil talked. “He said darkness was coming, and this was the safest place remaining.”

 

Thank you so much! I had a note from years ago about Maedhros being the one to see they got back to their family, it was just waiting for the right story to happen. Reading over this reminded me how very much I enjoyed writing it and anything else in that setting. They make up their own dialogue, i just have to type it out. It makes me really happy that you liked it.

Reading over it now also meant I got to fix a few of the more obvious typos *blush*. Scary what you find when you come back to something after a while.

Slice of life Silmfic is one of my favourite things ever, because I love reading more about the every day lives of First Age peoples in a way that the Silmarillion never gets into--and you do it so well! I love everything about this--Erestor & Gildor's discussion about swans (hah), the easy banter, your very evocative descriptions on Market Day, and of course the mysterious arrival of Elrond & Elros with the two Edain.

Those days after the Sirion attack always seemed very precarious to me, given that Morgoth had almost completely overrun Beleriand, and I like how you acknowledge that. Or perhaps the darkness everyone's alluding is the upcoming war that'll end up destroying the entire region? Both? Hopefully I've not misread this too badly, but I just appreciate the foreshadowing in context of everything else happening in this story.

I'm glad you enjoyed this, thank you for the lovely review. I really like writing these people, this time and place. It's an awkward little corner, not quite First Age anymore but not Second Age either, even if most of the characters are, but there's so much story in it. Plus I love just being able to listen to them talk, and it's really special when someone else enjoys the setting and the banter too. Thank you :)

Dark days indeed, yes, with the elven survivors holding onto the island and just a tiny corner of the mainland and Morgoth's forces killing and destroying almost at will. And by that stage there would have been a sense of something bigger about to happen, which Maedhros understood. So no, you read it just right :D

Aww, it's lovely to find reviews for you over here too!! Thank you, I'm glad this appealed. It started as a little domestic scene, just the majority of my 'Balar people' sitting in the kitchen chatting but I get restless when there isn't a point somewhere so then there was the market and then I thought 'why not tie it up to Brothers?...' and so, yes, Elwing's twins came home. I don't know if you've read Brothers, it's the previous piece where Maedhros takes the decision to send the boys to comparative safety on Balar.