The Second Gamble by Keiliss

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the 2015 MPTT Yule fic exchange

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fate, Ulmo's goodwill, and a family history of stubborn determination bring Idril to a reunion she had never thought possible.

Major Characters: Idril, Tuor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 423
Posted on 18 January 2016 Updated on 18 January 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


A new perspective on the arrival of Eärendil and Elwing in Valinor!  I really appreciated seeing this through Idril's eyes -- all the details of how she and Tuor do not quite fit in.  Loved the women's gossip, particularly about Tuor and how she delighted in tweaking their noses. Idril's anxiety about what the Valar will do is quite understandable. I wonder what her reaction would be to her son's ultimate fate.  

"Eärendil came bearing our law daughter’s dower - in other words he has something they want.”   This intrigued me -- the idea that the Valar wanted the Silmaril and that weighed in with their decision.  

Beautifully written, as always.

 

 

Thank you so much, reading your review made me really happy.

I guess the thought was there before, but it was only when I started writing this that I wondered why Earendil? Tuor and Idril between them represented elves and men, plus she was royal with family to speak for her there, and yet they were lucky to escape with their lives (I choose to believe the possibility at the end of their section in the Silm that they survived and Tuor became an elf). The differences were Earendil had the blood of both kindred PLUS he was wearing the shiny the Valar had tried to get Feanor to hand over all those years ago. It seemed very Valar-ish somehow!

I found that I love writing Idril. She's such a well-rounded person, plus she and Tuor were 'the ones who got away', possibly the only really happy couple in the Silm! I love that about them. Someone had to beat the odds.