In the Heart of the Storm by IgnobleBard

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Ossë shows Círdan the passion at the heart of the storm.

Major Characters: Círdan, Ossë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Erotica, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 829
Posted on 16 February 2017 Updated on 19 February 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


First of all, I love that introductory verse. I got all caught up in that poem when I doing the Tolkien seafarer stuff a couple of years ago.

I love the seaport introductory business--I love seaports in general! And Círdan expected a storm, but getting an old friends in a very hawt human form.

“Ossë, I might have known it was you from your grand entrance. I hope the storm will not catch any other ships coming in unawares.”

“Do not worry. It has largely blown itself out and there are no other ships nearby. I made sure of that before I set sail.”

Like, actually, he made the storm! Great touch.

I love the way you write Círdan and I am very attached to Osse also and his very special relationship with the Teleri.

Very happy also that it has a sweet and fluffy ending. I like the fact that Osse uses more than one human-modeled corporeal form! That is very cute and playful of him. It is also cute how Círdan takes it in stride.

Nice work beginning to end.

I've always loved that poem, and many others from that era. I thought it fit the theme of the story pretty well too, Cirdan coming to terms with his past and finally able to find some peace. The bustling seaport is always a great image so that was fun to write as well. Thanks for your comments about Cirdan. I'm not, like, super into the character but when I read this prompt I knew just what I wanted to do. It seemed so perfect for the pairing. It's also fun to play with the look of the Maia since, in my world anyway, they can choose a form like we'd choose an outfit. I'm a sucker for a happy ending so you knew these two would get one. Cirdan was around a long time and he deserves a day at the beach once in awhile. Heck, we all do. Thanks not only for your sweet comments but for the beta. You're always there for me and I appreciate it.

This is so beautifully written that it soars to a whole new level for me.  The descriptions are gorgeous and bring such life to everything in the story: the characters, places and ideas.  I've always wondered how the Maiar and Eldar could experience love together and loved the idea of it.  You've written about it more eloquently than anything I've before read.

 

The little added things are delightful: the mention of refugees and the truth of what they bring; the gentle humour in things like Cirdan's almost loss of control when he accepts Osse's offer and in Osse's changing appearances which almost frighten him.

 

This story was a truly awesome read; I was so blown away by it!

Thanks so much for your kind comments, Jenni. I always enjoy writing unconventional pairings so it's satisfying to know this relationship reads well and that you enjoyed it. Thanks also for mentioning the little touches about the refugees and the rest. I wanted the setting to seem plausible but still feel like a fantasy. I'm thrilled with this review and so glad you like the story.

I stumbled on your fic while looking for Círdan inspiration and I'm, well, let's just say my idea of him has been utterly refreshed by this!

What a wonderful experience for both of them. And both of them so curious, and sweetly excited yet with an underlying nervousness (despite Ossë's flamboyant displays!).

The worldbuilding info as well as the little details that built their personalities made the climax all the more enjoyable for me.

The image of Ossë pouring tea and eating cakes, savouring every moment in his fana carries a unique sensuality all of its own. 

And the thoughts shared on love and friendship, joy and longing are just so relatable.

Oh, there's just so much to enjoy about this fic! Thank you.

Thank you so much, Anérea. It’s always a compliment to know a story has given the reader a a take on a character they really enjoy. It’s always interesting and fun to write about the relationships between Tolkien’s characters and I enjoy the Maia for their otherworldly abilities and attitudes.

I’m happy you enjoyed the world building, details and descriptions. I’ve always romanticized the sea a bit myself so writing about it is always a joy.

This story is kind of a follow up to my story Hearts Like the Sea where Cirdan and Thingol meet and fall in love. That’s why Cirdan is pining for him here.

I really appreciate your comments and appreciate you sharing them. It’s a real treat.

Oooh! Thanks for mentioning Hearts Like The Sea—I was wondering whether the mentions in here hinted at events detailed elsewhere. I'll look it up and bookmark it.

 Getting into the mind of a maia is endlessly fascinating for me, if ultimately not entirely possible for us humans. And I really like the way you reversed this, when Ossë says he has no way of knowing whether what he feels is what the Elves feel. 

I'm also a total waterbaby and sea lover, so your description of their union Ossëstyle really did it for me!

You’re welcome and I hope you enjoy that one as well.

The Maia are interesting to write about. I don’t think they can ever fully understand what others feel, being spiritual beings with a completely different perspective but I like to think that’s why they find the Elves so fascinating.

“I'm also a total waterbaby and sea lover, so your description of their union Ossëstyle really did it for me!”

What a lovely comment. Thanks so much.