After the Storm Ends by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story is based on two prompts: one by Himring, who wanted Maglor meeting one or both of the Blue Wizards, and the other by Lyra, who wanted Maglor observing the Ring War from afar.

Many thanks to Oshun for the beta!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor and Alatar discuss rumors and Sauron.

Major Characters: Alatar, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 043
Posted on 12 March 2018 Updated on 12 March 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you!

Yes, Maglor is a cavalry commander again; it seemed fitting. I didn't want him completely in charge, but wanted him to have a position of some authority. Alatar is indeed a spymaster and also the person in charge of the local area (neither wizard is like Gandalf in not having a home, though Pallando travels more often than Alatar)-- and he absolutely enjoys teasing Maglor.

Yay, I am pleased to see this!  When you mentioned it on DW I was really excited to read it; it's an intriguing concept, and I love Maglor-through-the-Ages.

 

The slave trade is more active than it has been in years, even in places where we thought it had been abolished. Armies are gathering, the gore crows flying. That all of his attention is on the northwest region of the world, that there is some power growing there to challenge or even supplant him. People are too afraid to flee because if he wins, they will become his targets for lacking faith in him, but they are afraid to stay in case he loses. Trade West and South is drying up for those who are neutral and gone for those who oppose; some of the delicacies we have now are the last we will see of them. That if his attention is turned here, we will lose.

 

I love that you describe the economic impact too, as well as the military and the general sense of doom/fear.  Of course that's what the reality of war is to many people - most people, even. 

 

I enjoyed the dynamic between the wizard and Maglor - shifting from chatter about the weather to a battle of wits and back again - and Alatar calling him a whippersnapper made me chuckle.  I also like that you gave the Blue Wizards a role in the war; I always wanted to know more about them, but I guess that's why we have fanfic. 

 

This was a really interesting scene and it made me want more.  Thank you so much for sharing!

 

 

 

Thank you! Maglor through the Ages is one of my favorite things to read and write.

Yes, it can't all be focused specifically on the military aspects; the world doesn't work that way. Being farther from Mordor than Gondor is, the immediate effects would be the economic ones and only later the military.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm firmly on the side that the Blue Wizards never fell, but helped in their own ways. I did take a little bit from the other version in that both Alatar and Pallando have their own lands they rule, but they're not despots. It's more of an influence thing for international politics than anything else.

At this point, I don't have plans to write more with this scenario. Thanks for commenting!