Time Enough by Keiliss

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This was written for Phyncke for the 2019 My Slashy Valentine swap. She gave a choice of three parings, one of which was Aegnor and Glorfindel. I know how much she loves this rare pair. I never quite got it till I wrote this.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

On the Helcaraxë at the first moonrise, past memories and future hope

 

Major Characters: Aegnor, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 083
Posted on 16 February 2019 Updated on 16 February 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

I know they only spoke Quenya at this point, but I went fully Silm and used the Sindarin version of names throughout because the alternative felt a bit like writing a bunch of OCs. Don't judge me!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oooh!  I have never seen this pairing but I was intrigued - and now I see it too :D

 

I really loved this - the sense of fear, and history, and tragedy, and the distant past and the dread of the future.  Your imagery is gorgeous - this really grabbed me:

 

" like a determined flute playing chase with the grumbling and cracking of the ice."

And of course Glorfindel fought a polar bear and won.  Of course.

"Fëanor never failed at anything, it was impossible to believe he would now." - oh, my heart.

The end is just wonderful...it's one of my favourite moments to imagine in the whole legenarium, when they finally reach land after that awful trek.  In my head I always set it to Sibelius's 5th (not a clue why) and so that's what I heard in my mind as I read your characters' wonder, their disbelieving hope, the knowledge it's almost over - and that gorgeous, quiet, intimate moment between Aegnor and Glorfindel at the end.  

Thank you so much for sharing <3

Hi Narya, thank you so much for the lovely review, I'm glad you enjoyed it - it's one of those rare challenge fics where at the end I sat back and looked at it and realised I really, really liked it (and them) even though I had never pictured those two people together or any of the back story, lol. I've written one other fic set on the Ice - a very short Turgon piece - so I had ideas about that, but the moonrise -- the heck with common sense, this is fantasy and I love the making of the sun and moon and the idea of that silver light illuminating the solid land just ahead of them gives me goosebumps.

And what a perfect musical score for that final triumph.