The Election Farce of Nargothrond: Of Dumbness, Treachery, and Brotherly Love by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

"Election" was one of my first fanfics, begun almost three years ago when I wrote stories with no intentions of ever sharing them. I have always had a soft spot and something of a knack for satire, but really, "Election" was written just so that I would have an outlet for all of the really, really bad (and I do mean really bad) images and metaphors rattling around in my head.

"Election" is a perpetual work in progress. At one point, I put it up on my LiveJournal, and it found a fan and fellow satire enthusiast in Fanged Geranium. Since then, she has bothered me regularly about updating and finishing it, but in the rush to finish other works that suddenly seemed more important, crazy ol' "Election" kept getting pushed to the side.

Well, Fanged Geranium finally got the best of me this year. Knowing how seriously I take my annual gift-story-writing spree at the year's end, she asked for "A new chapter of 'Election Farce of Nargothrond' please!" leaving me with no choice but to update this long-neglected story.

And actually, since Fanged Geranium is one of my oldest fandom friends and has patiently waited for this update for probably two years now, I have written not one but two new chapters. (Well, that and "Election" chapters are really, really short, so I thought it unjust that I should get off so easily with just one.)

I like to think that I will one day finish this story. I like to think that, when I do, it will no longer be politically relevant. However, since it's taken me this long to add even two new chapters to it, I'm not really keen on hoping for either.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A satirical look at how an election for the King of Nargothrond might have gone based on current political events. Silly, irreverent, and full of bad metaphors. Updated especially for Fanged Geranium.

Major Characters: Beren, Celebrimbor, Celegorm, Curufin, Finrod Felagund, Orodreth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: General

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 10 Word Count: 9, 054
Posted on 24 December 2007 Updated on 24 December 2007

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I have to re-read this story from the beginning. It has been a while. I hopped in here because it was my favorite chapter and I wanted to remember why. "Orodeth let out a loud snore and upset a bottle of wine." Ha! Perfect. Now I remember, why, despite the annoying difficulties it creates within my canon, I wanted to make Fingon the father of Gil-galad in my story cycle. You can take some of the blame.

Finrod is my favorite golden elf boy, second only to Tyelkormo/Celegorm (who may or may not be blond, but I've always imagined him blond) so it was definitely a treat to read about them in the same story.  The little hints you dropped about how their previous interaction with each other (i.e. "humiliating, painful capers of the Feanorians) had me hooked.

It is the details I love most about your stories, regardless of genre. I laughed out loud in the part where Finrod mulls over his oath to Beren's father and Finrod actually keeping a diary. 

Felt sorry for Celebrimbor that nobody bothered to listen to him, if only they had listened.  :^> Though I admit I had to read it a few times before I finally got it.  He reminds me of a professor of mine who could put a whole classroom to sleep just by opening his mouth.

I just love the images in this chapter: Celegorm looking with vague interest at the head healer, then picking at his nails, Finrod fidgeting with his necklace.  Wonder what Curvo would have  reacted to his son's speech.

You wrote these chapters more than two years ago, and I've only just noticed them!  World's least observant person strikes again!  Anyway, I'm glad I have found them now, because they're absolutely hilarious.  I particularly like the guard elves being so terrified of Beren - the blades of grass bending! - and Beren suffering from cognitive dissonance.  Thanks Dawn!