The West Wind Quartet by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The original idea was this: I had recalled, once again, that before everyone decided that Maedhros was "wrong but wromantic", he was supposed to be a military hero. So I'd have him kill enough orcs to make Aragorn look like small beer (take that, Gimli and Legolas!) and perhaps even a Balrog or two (take that Glorfindel!). All Maglor would have to do would be to gracefully allow himself to be rescued and, because I didn't want to do any research on military strategy or sword fighting, I'd have a POV character who would go "ah!" and "oh!", but wouldn't really understand what was going on. And, of course, the piece was going to be very short.

So, here are some exclusive sound-bites from "The Making Of":

Maedhros: 'I don't like the script. What is all this about a white fire burning within and one returned from the dead? Sounds more like Glorfindel, if you ask me. In fact, why don't you go and hire him instead? I'd rather sit and read a good book. And where's Glaurung come from, all of a sudden? Oh, you noticed he appears in the Silmarillion at that point? Honestly, that book is more trouble than it's worth sometimes. Oh, all right, I'll deal with him for you. But mind you--NO cameras!'

Emlinn (my POV character): 'I'm supposed to admire someone for waving his sword about? Do I have to? Wait, maybe he can do it to music?'

Maglor: 'You do realize that I'm considering sueing you for defamation of character, just as soon as I've finished charging you for all the extra hours of overtime? Not to mention the copyright issues. What made you think you were qualified to write about music? How dare you turn me into a cross between Paul McCartney and Beethoven? What's that? They head the charts all the time and make lots of money? Hmm...'

 

Books

 

MEFA banner by Esteliel

Smaug's Treasure banner by Aranel Took

 

Smaug's Treasure banner by Aranel Took

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Emlinn, a Sinda, becomes Maglor's student and experiences the end of the Siege of Angband and the Battle of Sudden Flame.

Now added: Bonus chapter: Like a Friendly Touch Among the Crowd (ft. Elrond).

Illustrated by Alasse for B2MeM 2012: see link at end of Chapter Two!

Kindly nominated for MEFAs 2011 by Angelica. It won a Honorable Mention in the category "Elves: House of Finwë" and a Smaug's Treasure award.

 

Major Characters: Elrond, Erestor, Glaurung, Maedhros, Maglor, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 16, 871
Posted on 22 August 2010 Updated on 24 April 2016

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Maglor's Gap, named after the greatest singer of the Noldor but not otherwise known as the cultural capital of Beleriand. A dark handsome stranger walks into an inn... No forget that, they're both married to somebody else. All right, a dark silent stranger walks into an inn. No, no, NO! He's Maglor. You don't want him to be silent, do you?

Major battle scene, most of which manages to take place just out of sight. Maglor kills an orc (really!). A mistimed genealogical discussion causes upheaval. ...and also an incidental dragon, obviously.

 

 

Maedhros waves his sword around to music and then sits down and reads a good book. You thought I was joking, didn't you?  Also contains some discussion of Art with a capital A--and the maximum amount of embarrassment I could squeeze into a single chapter.

Warning: This chapter contains a couple of references that probably should be labelled "Adult" for sexual content (and also for mentioning torture). To conclude anything from this about the general character of the chapter, I feel would be rather misleading (see above).

The economic downturn hits East Beleriand, and a sidelined character gains importance.

Fast-forwarding past Balar and Lindon at almost indecent speed, we arrive at Imladris, where Erestor and Emlinn fundamentally disagree about copy-right issues.

It all ends in tears, of course, but not entirely so.

At Gil-galad's court in Lindon, Elrond has an unexpected encounter.

Written for Independence 1776 for Fandom Stocking 2015

Rating: General Audiences


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I thought having you as a favourite author would notify me whenever you updated but apparently it works with stories and series only, so imagine my surprise when I check the site, and find out I missed this story’s update twice. I took the chance to read it from the beginning. This will be a long review :)

Overall I liked how you used the POV of an OC to show us the relationship between Maedhros and Maglor. I already told you I loved how you write it, but it’s even more beautiful when it’s seen from the eyes of a stranger. The bond they share shines through. I also liked the references of future events and foreshadowing, how they were spaced throughout the tale.

Chapter 1: I liked how, through Emlinn, we first see Maglor as something awe-inspiring and remote, and how that changes by the time Maglor sits with his back to her. Maedhros will be seen in the same light, but it’ll take longer for that to change. And yet he’ll remain remote… 

Chapter 2: The sense of confusion before the reality of war came across really well! I enjoyed that mention of Turin :) Thumbs up to Maedhros’ strategy against Glaurung!

Chapter 3: Absolutely my favourite chapter! So many things worth mentioning… I saw once the performance of a martial artist using a sword. That display of skill accompanied by music is wonderful, so I imagine Maedhros’ must have been quite a sight. Add that that it was Maglor the one playing… good for morale is an understatement. And I keep forgetting Maedhros is no longer beautiful by Elven standards :P  I liked how even during the music lessons there are signs that they are on a siege, letting us have a respite without forgetting that things aren’t going well. Maglor taking a second to fix Maedhros’ hair during battles; the villagers referring to Maedhros as left-handed; how their public actions are so political (it’s deliberate, but doesn’t seem deliberate, so ingrained it is.); the rumours about Maedhros and Angband (can’t help thinking that Maedhros would prefer that rumour to one that hits closer to home). Here it’s shown that Maedhros draws strength from his brother’s presence, while his presence inspires Maglor… And I wonder if Maglor blames himself for Maedhros’ death, if that is the real reason Maglor refuses to seek Valinor, the one thing he can’t forgive himself for.

Chapter 4: I hated she had to part… but I think it was best for her than witnessing first hand what happened after the Nirnaeth.

Chapter 5: How bittersweet the ending! Her grief at the beginning is very believable, she knows they’ve done something terrible but she also knows they aren’t evil and it’s hard to reconcile those thoughts. How the rearrangements were a smart way to keep Maglor’s legacy, though I sympathized with Erestor. Also enjoyed that mention of Elrond and Feanorian silences :)

I end the review with something a sentence that I think says a lot about Maedhros, though I can’t seem to find the words to explain why: “I was the real thing. Maedhros had said so”.

Oh-um! I just wrote a really long response, but when I tried to submit it, it turned out that I had got myself accidentally logged out in the meantime and the whole thing vanished into cyberspace... Silly me, I should have known to do a separate draft first. I may be able to reconstruct some of what I was going to say later.

Meanwhile here is the very short version: WOW! Thank you!!!

And a slightly longer one: As I know you liked A Long Time Falling, which tries to say some similar things about Maedhros and Maglor from a rather different perspective, I'm very glad indeed that you like this story as well and that this angle works for you. I am particularly happy that you like the third chapter, which I was rather anxious about.

I just wanted to say I really, really enjoyed this fic. I loved how it focussed on Maglor as a musician instead of mainly concentrating on his later possible angsting. The bond between him and his brother was realistic, and your OC well rounded and believable. I'm a musician myself, so throughout the fic I found myself alternatively wishing myself in her place and being very grateful not to be ( being taught by someone you truly admire is nerve wrecking! And I've only experienced human teachers: lessons with Maglor would probably kill me, haha) I also really liked the idea of him maybe hearing shards of his songs sung by strangers as he wanders later on. One of the most beautiful things about music to me is that it is a very direct form of communication able to break barriers of time, place and culture. Somehow that just is a beautiful idea...sorry, I'm not very eloquent. :P

You really made my day with this comment! I'm so happy to get positive feedback on this story from somebody who actually is a musician! I'm not, myself, but I so much wanted to get across the idea that he was a professional and an artist, not just somebody who mainly spent his time in angst and occasionally wrote songs about it in his spare time, so to speak! I'm glad that worked for you!

I'm also very happy to hear you think my OC is believable. I originally wanted her just for her POV, but, as the whole story grew on me, I found myself writing more of her own story than I had intended. I might find myself using her again, as I dropped hints that she was in Eregion when Sauron invaded and I may be about to write a short piece set in this period.

Hi Himring,  I thought I'd repost my Mefa review here:

This is the story of a Sindarin musician named Emlinn, who becomes Maglor's pupil. Emlinn is a clear-eyed, down-to-earth individual, humble about her own abilities, although clearly she is a skilled musician. She is thrilled when Maglor chooses to tutor her, telling us that even though a Noldo he is arguably the greatest musician in Middle-earth. (The Noldor/Sindar factionalism is well portrayed.) Even though Emlinn's feelings about Maglor's character are tempered by his actions at Doriath and the Havens, she is able to see him in his entire tragic complexity and is responsible for later popularizing his music. I love the logic of this, because of course how would his music have become widely known without an elf like Emlinn to promote it?

Something unusual in fanfic and an aspect I liked is that Emlinn is married, and that her relationship with Maglor and Maedhros is not romantic in a sexual sense. Nevertheless, it is a love story of devotion and loyalty to a gifted teacher.

The minute I started reading this, I realized I was in a storyteller’s capable hands. First and foremost there is Emlinn’s strong voice. ["As a solo player, I’m a good harpist and a decent singer, no more, but I’m an excellent accompanist, even if I say so myself, and an experienced teacher. I learned with the best. For a time I was a student of Maglor Feanorion. You would prefer me to say that it was Daeron who was the best, not Maglor, because he was one of ours? But to compare Daeron and Maglor is to compare a pomegranate with a bunch of grapes."]

Secondly, there are so many vivid and wonderful scenes: Emlinn’s first meeting with Maglor; the terrifying encounter with Glaurung; the marvelous portrait of Maglor and Maedhros’ relationship, exemplified by Maglor’s musical accompaniment of Maedhros’ martial exercise -- a magical moment. Emlinn's unique perspective allows us to see the two brothers in all their majestic power and heartbreaking “humanity.” In the best fanfic tradition, this story gave me a view of them that I didn't have before and I thank Himring for that.

Himring’s prose is clear and artful and enhances her story without calling attention to itself or getting in the story’s way. Even the author notes and character descriptions are engaging -- written in a gently humorous manner. I especially loved the quotes from her “actors” Emlinn, Maglor,and Maedhros, grumbling about Himring’s rendition of their story. [Maglor: “You do realize that I'm considering sueing you for defamation of character, just as soon as I've finished charging you for all the extra hours of overtime? Not to mention the copyright issues.”]

All in all, Himring is a marvelous storyteller and this is a fantastic story.

Amazing story, Himring! The spririt of Tolkien's books literally breathes out at me from this fic. You managed to keep Tolkien's realia and characetrisations including mannerisms and ancient politeness of speech, and given it all an everyday reality dimension. I'm astonished. Great job, really.

This is one of my favorite Maedhros stories. I read it a while ago and didn't review (sorry!!) but I stumbled across it again and wanted to let you know. He just seems so complex and real here. You really show how much he strugged to keep Himring (and Beleriand in general) safe and protected. One of my favorite parts is when Emlinn talks about the library being burned:

"But that Maedhros should have forced himself to destroy them by his own command is what breaks Erestor’s heart, more than the destruction wrought by orcs or balrogs of whom no better could have been expected.

I do not think myself that Maedhros loved his books so much that he would not have grieved a great deal more for the loss of all those people, dying within the brief space of  a couple of days like flies. When, towards the end of winter during the siege, there was no kindling left for the fires in the hospital wing, he offered pages from his books to the healers to light the fires. He selected the pages carefully and ripped them out himself, but I saw no sign of regret on his face." 

It conveys a lot in only a short space. My favorite line, though, and one that has stayed with me is: "...I saw Maedhros miraculously transmuting himself into a tireless hero with nerves of steel again, the unbowed spirit of Himring, as he leapt lightly down the stairs."

I also love the part where Emlinn calls others out for speaking ill of Maedhros and Maglor, when they previously benefited from their protection. 

Emlinn herself is a fascinating character; I like how we get to see all of her preconceived notions and how they measure up to, and are changed by, reality. Even knowing things couldn't last, I was sad when she was sent away. The things we learn from her, like the rumors about Maedhros in Angband, are interesting and insightful as well.

That got way longer than I intended, so I'll leave it there. Anyway, this is an amazing story and thank you for writing it!! I'm sorry I didn't say so sooner.