A Brief History of the Fall of Utumno by Huinare

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Regarding the siege of Utumno by Valinor, as seen from various characters’ viewpoints.  
(Very well.  As seen mostly from the dark vantage.  It’s me we’re talking about here..)
Assembled responses to Tolkien Weekly’s “Natural Disasters” drabble challenge (Apr-May 2012).

Major Characters: Aulë, Eönwë, Glaurung, Gothmog, Melkor, Oromë, Ossë, Salmar, Sauron, Tulkas, Ungoliant, Valar, Varda

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 689
Posted on 20 June 2012 Updated on 20 June 2012

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thanks so much, Uvatha!  I'm glad you enjoyed this enough to reread it.

I do endeavor to use Quenya names instead of Sindarin in any of my work that takes place during the Years of the Trees.

My (much longer) Draugluin story will have a chapter or two about this same time period, from quite another perspective, if I can get off my arse and write it.

Great Bauglir, I cannot believe I had not reviewed this!  Actually, I suspect there are other Huinarium offering that I have read, liked a great deal, and made a mental note of "Leave Huin a note!"   Blame it on my near-geriatric mind and its attention span of a gnat.

At any rate, these are outstanding.  Each one.  Like Uvatha, I read these over and over.  Your prose is marvelous, and in an economy of words (and clearly, each word carefully chosen), you create powerful images and bring an original flare to the cataclysmic event.  

Beautifully done!

Thank you for taking the time to comment, Pandë!  And I can relate to the attention span thing.

One of the things I like about doing drabble series for the Tolkien_weekly challenges is that the forced brevity allows me to conceive of brief sketches of events, so it helps me sort of plot some things out in my 'verse without falling prey to my typical tendency to make a novella of a molehill.  And yes, the words all do undergo a brutal selection, since my draft drabbles usually come in at closer to 150 words.

This was one of the first fics I have read on SWG, and one of the best fics I came across before and after that! Sorry I hadn't reviewed this earlier.

And it is also compulsively readable, as your other reviewers have said, but many of your works are like that (Melkian dialogues, Sundray, Gelmir).

Your fiction has a rare quality to it, and I say this with a quite a few years reading various fanfiction, not only Silmarillion.

On the side note, I have finally read Camus' Renegade and I actually found yours and his story to be a close match. But in their essence they are very different - more on this if I manage to post another comment on Gelmir - I don't know if its allowed to publish more than one review on the same story. If not, I will write you about it somewhere else.

Please, continue to write!

Thank you so much, Belegur!  I've really appreciated your encouraging remarks.

"Please, continue to write!"

Admitedly I've not been writing much this year due to a few factors, but at least lack of ideas isn't one of them.  I'm certainly not done with writing Tolkien fic by any means.  More will come eventually. =D

(Re: Gelmir v. Renegade.  Eee, I think it's so cool that my story caused someone to read Camus' story!  Yes, it is possible to leave multiple reviews on a single story, but if you have a Livejournal please do feel free get in touch over there  huinare.livejournal.com. Or at other places mentioned on my profile, but LJ is very discussion-conducive.)