Be more cruel, Love, and so be kind. by Agelast

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The prompt asked for: something set in Valinor, perhaps hinting at the reason for the animosity Caranthir felt towards the House of Finarfin.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

All of Caranthir's preconceived notions are turned on their head when he finds himself falling for the most unlikely person possible -- his annoyingly perfect half-cousin, Finrod.

Written for Dawn Felegund for Sultry in September 2013.

Major Characters: Amarië, Caranthir, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Graphic)

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 12, 314
Posted on 3 September 2013 Updated on 3 September 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


My most heart-felt admiration for this loveliest of explanations of why Caranthir hated Finarfin's family.

More enjoyment to be had in the supporting cast of brothers and sisters: concerned elder brother Maitimo, flighty artist Maglor, the terrible pair of Tyelkormo and Curufinwe and the violence-inducing nutritionist twins (Lol lol lol) and of course, over-perceptive little Galadriel! Special mention to Amarie who finally is portrayed as somebody worthy of Finrod and their on-off relation. Marvelous story.

Copying my original review (probably different audience here):

OMG! You knocked my socks off, this is sweet and tragic and funny and overwhelming. An emotional deluge. Wow! I just love it. I will come back and re-read it.

By the way, the sex scenes are awesome! I loved the characterization throughout and I love this part:

"Findaráto was aggressive, demanding with sex in ways that he was not, could not be in ordinary life. Carnistir could let go, lose control without losing it all."

I teared up about the necklace--I am very stoic; do not cry easily at fanfic (or movies, books or TV shows!) and you had me teary and all but blubbering a few times with this one. You really touched some spot in me with this story--both of them were ripping my heart out. And Amarie! I do not think I have ever liked her so much. I wanted more. I did not want to leave the world you had created.

 

I really like the in-depth characterizations you have here. Even characters who make only small appearances (Makalaure or Artanis) still seem very fleshed out.

I especially like Amarie in this story. Carnistir, of course, is really well done, too....I like how you managed to keep his anger and abrasiveness but still make him seem sympathetic and reasonable.

I think the scene with Maitimo comforting Carnistir is my favorite; especially the small implication that Maitimo miiiight have picked the lock on his little brother's bedroom door, haha.

Anyway, great story!