It Shall Be Cloudy Come Afternoon by Huinare

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I was debating selecting "romance" as one of the genres, but I write so little romantic stuff that I don't know whether this would even quality, strictly speaking (thoughts?).

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

As war presses in from the north, a woman of Cardolan meets a strange friend in the downs.

Written during B2MeM 2015, responding to a prompt by Elleth for a gen or slash story involving Goldberry and the lady of the blue brooch (mentioned in Fellowship, "Fog on the Barrow Downs").

Major Characters: Goldberry, Original Character(s), Tom Bombadil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 112
Posted on 19 April 2015 Updated on 19 April 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


You had a really good B2MeM this year, didn't you? Such a range of stories! I had almost forgotten just how much I liked this one.

I think the story would qualify as romance--what I'm less sure about is what use readers might be making of the Romance tag in practice. But if you're tagging for more than one genre anyway, it seems fair enough, in any case!

Thanks, Himring! I was pleased with my B2MeM output this year, as I did several stories, and, furthermore, finished them all.

Yes, readers may want requited romance when they think "romance," so I'll probably just leave it with the usual "gen" tag. I think I'm partly just bored with putting "general" on everything when some of my stories differ a lot in tone and content, but rarely does anything else seem to fit.

I vaguely remember reading this on the B2MeM comm, but I can't remember whether I commented, so...

I love the slowly growing relationship between the lady and Goldberry, and especially the conversations which reveal more and more about both of them. The glimpses of tragedy in Goldberry's past fits very well in the piece--and leaves me longing for more. And the hints of romance were lovely, as well. I think this will forever be one of my favourite stories. ♥♥♥♥

Thank you so much for the lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. This one was very interesting for me to write, as it foregrounded some themes and emotions that I usually tend to downplay or eschew in my work (and for that reason, I also think this one was very important for me to write). Thanks again, your comment brightened my day!

I was sure I'd commented on this before, but it must have been back when you posted it to the B2MeM comm. I really like this story, especially the way you write Goldberry here -- combining poetry and science, and with a clearly not-human perspective. The origin story of Tom and Goldberry is very intriguing, and I'd be curious to know more detail about that. I like your narrator too. I feel sorry for the way her life seems so constrained, and you write her unrequited feelings for Goldberry in a very relatable way. I enjoyed rereading this!

Aw, thanks, Zdenka! I do seem to recall your commenting on this on the B2MeM community during the event, and I appreciate your taking the time to read and comment again. 

The Tom and Goldberry origin story is definitely one I've considered elaborating on, but, at this rate, with so many unwrtten things in my head, I dunno when/if it will happen. If only ideas wrote themselves... :)