Chasing Mirages by Russandol

| | |

Appendix A. Story Timeline

Entries in italics are described or listed in at least one of the Tolkien canon sources given below.

Dates are given as “year, age” and may differ in some cases from those listed in the “Tale of Years” in The Lord of the Rings, if the events have followed the version described in Unfinished Tales or The History of Middle-earth.

Warning: it may contain mild spoilers!

 



Story Timeline


590, I — Melkor is cast out to the Void.

1, II — Foundation of the Grey Havens, and of Lindon.

4, II — Eönwë returns to Aman and he is banished by Manwë to Endórë.

7, II — Chakmóol’s heir, Sakxikin, is born.

9, II — Chakmóol’s daughter, Nikteháa, is born.

25, II — Eönwë and Mairon are arrested for treason.

52, II — Death of Chakmóol; his son Sakxikin becomes ahaw of Kiinlúum.

85, II — Death of Nikteháa, daughter of Chakmóol.

436, II — Xamanlúum begins hostilities.

438, II — War declared against Xamanlúum; Eönwë is summoned.

439, II — Eönwë travels to Lindon.

442, II — Death of Elros Tar-Minyatur.

600, II — Vëantur reaches the coast of Middle— earth in his ship Entulessë.

750, II — Founding of Eregion by the Noldor.

c. 1000, II — Sauron chooses Mordor as a land to make into a stronghold and begins the building of Barad-dûr.

1018, II — Elrond warns Gil-galad of people settling in Gorgoroth.

1200, II — Sauron begins teaching the elves of Eregion.

1202, II — Elrond receives a letter from Celebrimbor.

1207, II — Elrond travels to Eregion.

1208, II — Gil-galad refuses Annatar permission to enter Lindon.

c. 1350-1400, II — Revolt of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain against Galadriel and Celeborn in Eregion. Galadriel goes to Lórinand.

c. 1590,  II— The Three Rings are completed in Eregion.

1606, II — Celebrimbor perceives Annatar has betrayed them, creating the One Ring, and sends Vilya and Narya to Gil-galad, after leaving Nenya with Galadriel. In wrath, Sauron reveals his identity and purpose.

This is recorded in the Tale of Years as circa 1600, II Age.

1693, II — War of the Elves and Sauron begins.

1695, II— Sauron's forces invade Eriador. Gil-galad sends Elrond to Eregion.

1697, II — Ost-in-Edhil is captured by Sauron and Celebrimbor is slain; Glorfindel arrives from Lindon to join Elrond in Eregion.

1699, II — Erestor arrives at Imladris.

1701, II — Sauron is defeated and retreats from Eriador back to Mordor.

3255, II— Ar-Pharazôn the Golden seizes the sceptre.

3261, II— Ar-Pharazôn sets sail and lands at Umbar.

3262, II — Annatar is taken hostage by Ar-Pharazôn to Númenor.

3310, II— Ar-Pharazôn begins the building of the Great Armament.

3319, II — Númenor is destroyed.

3430, II— The Last Alliance of Elves and Men is formed.

3434, II — Sauron’s forces are defeated in Dagorlad.

3440, II— Anárion is slain.

3441, II — Sauron is defeated when Isildur cuts the One Ring from his hand.

2, III — Isildur is slain and the One Ring is lost.

109, III — Elrond weds Celebrían, daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn.

130, III— Birth of Elladan and Elrohir, sons of Elrond.

241, III— Birth of Arwen Undómiel.

c. 1050, III— A shadow falls on Greenwood, and men begin to call it Mirkwood.

1087, III — Mithrandir visits Imladris from the first time.

c. 1100, III— The Wise (the Istari and the chief Eldar) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgûl.

c. 1300, III— Evil things begin to multiply again. Orcs increase in the MistyMountains and attack the Dwarves. The Nazgûl reappear. The chief of these comes north to Angmar

2060, III— The power of Dol Guldur grows. The Wise fear that it may be Sauron taking shape again.

2063, III— Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur and the evil that dwells there (still not confirmed to be Sauron) retreats and hides in the East. The Watchful Peace begins.

2460, III— The Watchful Peace ends. Sauron returns with increased strength to Dol Guldur.

2509, III — Celebrían is captured by Orcs when travelling to Lórien.

2510, III — Unable to heal, Celebrían sails West.

2851, III — Mithrandir confirms that the Necromancer of Dol Guldur is indeed Sauron.

2941, III— Bilbo meets Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur. Battle of the Five Armies.

2951, III— Sauron declares himself openly and gathers power in Mordor. He begins the rebuilding of Barad-dûr and sends three of the Nazgûl to reoccupy Dol Guldur.

3018, III — Frodo takes the One Ring to Imladris; the Council of Elrond takes place.

3019, III — Frodo and Sam reach Orodruin; Sauron is vanquished.

I, IV — Elrond, Galadriel, Mithrandir, Frodo and others sail West.

64, IV — Eönwë travels to Endórë for the last time.

1, VII — The present from which this story is narrated, and where it ends.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment