Faithless Is He That Says Farewell When the Road Darkens by bunn

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Evandar in the Innumerable Stars 2017 exchange. 
 
Elrond & Elros would be about 33 years old in this story, which is set about half-way through the war. Their half-elven parents married when they were 22, from which I assume that Elrond and Elros, at the age of 33, are fully adult, even though Elf children of the same age would not be.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The War of Wrath lasted for forty-two years. It was neither a swift nor a certain victory. Here, in the middle of that great war, Celebrimbor, Elrond and Elros meet and work together. Elrond and Celebrimbor have complex feelings about the House of Fëanor. Elros, not so much.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Elrond, Elros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 035
Posted on 2 November 2017 Updated on 2 November 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a fabulous story which I read when it was first posted on AO3. There is just so much to love about it! The map work is terrific! I love stories which carefully consider canon and then expand it! Of course, as you already know, it plays to all my canon preferences!

Sorry to repeat things I have already said, am thrilled to have to story here on my home site (!!) and really want to support it, while not feeling terribly alert or creative at the moment. But, anyway, . . .

Really like the oaths and the discussion around them. Great characterization of Elrond, Elros, Celebrimbor and Gil-galad. Enjoying the handling of politics and the politics of relentless complicated relationships among and between kinsmen in the First Age and their varying degrees of distance and closeness.

Those description of Feanorian stars on clothing and armor and the loyalty of hardcore, long-time supporters of the House of Feanor under the leadership of Maedhros (and Maglor as I read it).

I love the ending--believable and heart-wrenching. I am willing to receive and adopt your extrapolation on the very scanty canon which we have for the War of Wrath. Your interpretation shows an immerse amount of detail work and consideration, which I greatly appreciate. Once again, enjoyed this so very much.

Congrats on a beautiful piece of work. I am envious.