Pieces of the Stars by Nibeneth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

When I finished reading the Silmarillion for the first time, I found myself hungry for more information about Elrond, Elros, Maglor, and Maedhros: a family that, against all reason, was said to be happy. In the summer of 2015 I wrote my first two Silmarillion fics, "Cut Ten To One" and "Reflection," in an attempt to reconcile the love, sorrow, care, and horror implied in this maddeningly vague part of the Legendarium. I don't stand by everything in those fics anymore, but they became the foundation of the labor of love that would become Pieces of the Stars.

I am not the first person to write this story, and I won't be the last.

Thank you to breadprincess for the beta and the daily support and motivation, to vardasvapors for taking an extra look and being a sounding board for tricky parts, and to everyone on Tumblr who put up with my writing woes and vagueposting. I couldn't do it without you! As always, I'm on Tumblr, come say hi!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When the Oath brings disaster to Sirion, Maglor attempts to fix what he can, but a temporary arrangement becomes much more permanent than anyone had foreseen. Elrond and Elros grow up, grow together, and grow apart at the end of a world slowly decaying into myth and legend.

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Suicide, Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 11 Word Count: 61, 834
Posted on 25 December 2017 Updated on 3 September 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really enjoyed this -an unusual episode but crucial to Elrond's story of course. I really like the perspective- and the glimpes we get of key characters, like Maedhros and Maglor.  The idea of Amras dying ainfully was really effective and eventually Maglor giving him something- that felt very real and credible. Great story telling.

My browser crashed and I lost a ridiculously long and detailed comment! Argh!

I am loving the pace and details of this story. It is wonderfully imagined and grippingly narrated I love observing Maglor (and everyone else!) through Elrond's eyes. I love what a leader and administrator Maglor is and yet find the time to dedicate himself to doing what he believes is right and just for the boys.

I love the education! The idea of using his song-method. Wow! To be a little bird or a mouse and watch listen to that. This would make a wonderful film

Maglor had them sing the tengwar song, the number song, the Valar song, the song of the Music, and more they didn’t already know. There were songs for history and mathematics and the patterns of nature. When Maglor decided they knew them well enough, he brought out slates and chalk and had them practice their letters and numbers. The lesson-songs stuck in Elrond’s head as the repeated figures and made words on his slate. He could bring the music out into the lines and curves of his name as if making a visual representation of the tunes themselves. Elros did his numbers faster, and when he was done, he drew grotesque monsters slithering out of the edges of the slate to eat them.


The changes of the seasons and the passage of time are wonderfully handled and, for the boys, the single constant thing is Maglor's determination and his care and his attention to their education. Would have been so easy to let it slide!

“I will not send you back to your people ignorant and illiterate,” he said, and watched over them as they grudgingly put their chalk to their slates.


The descriptions of Maedhros are terrible to read, but convincingly written. When he is moved to speak or interact, he makes as much sense as anyone else does in that terrible time. How painful and difficult those days are, yet Maglor is like a beacon of hope. Caring for the boys and worrying about Maedhros somehow keeps him going. It's all so believable and real.

I hope you do continue with this. I will be watching for it!

This second chapter is every bit as beautifully written, as precise and detailed as the first.

'Everything seemed shabby and sad and slowly losing what little dignity it had left. The great house in the center of the compound was no different, for all it was older and bigger and built entirely in stone. A corner of it was crumbling and the roof was mostly moss. No banners flew from the two small towers on either side of the double doors, which did not match. Some of the windows were boarded up. It looked like a tired, bruised face.'

 

Perfect description for the poor, degraded House of Feanor, a tired, bruised face beaten by that dreadful Oath and Elwing's refusal to give up the Silmaril (I have no symapthy for her I'm afraid!)

 

 

 

 In the end they found four shirts, two tunics, three pairs of trousers, one winter coat, exactly three socks, and a left sandal in good condition.

Another beautiful image that just perfectly tells you this is neglected, dispirited. I love the three socks and one sandal- it is really very domestic as well as neglected.

And the gradual disintegration of thier power base is just perfectly told- the slow move away, abandonment. (I assume the reason for the abandonment of Balar is because the army has arrivved from Valinor? My Silm knowledge isn't good enough to work out anything else but I love that sense of mystery - how they are in the dark from the rest of the elves.)

Each left their sword at the front door of the great house.

What a poignant message.

And then again, this lovely scene of domesticity- I think this is the best fic I have read about this part of the SIlm. I love the way you write the brothers- all four, and the gradual tenderness. I htink too, it is convincing that they have Maedhros on suicide watch so his final end is actually an escape from Maglor rather than a surpise.

became part of their winter routine. Maglor had them sing the tengwar song, the number song, the Valar song, the song of the Music, and more they didn’t already know. There were songs for history and mathematics and the patterns of nature. When Maglor decided they knew them well enough, he brought out slates and chalk and had them practice their letters and numbers. The lesson-songs stuck in Elrond’s head as the repeated figures and made words on his slate. He could bring the music out into the lines and curves of his name as if making a visual representation of the tunes themselves. Elros did his numbers faster, and when he was done, he drew grotesque monsters slithering out of the edges of the slate to eat them

 

I so enjoyed that idea of Elros and his monsters! Such beautiful writing.

This is all imagined so vividly and such detail.

The losses, the lack of news, life carrying on somehow regardless...

And in the midst of it, boys will be boys.

I guess the War of Wrath has started fully now. Sort of ironic that one of the first things it does seems to be to almost kill the sons of Earendil!

 

 

I love, love, love the details!

I really like the description of Maglor as a teacher and Elrond as a student:

It became part of their winter routine. Maglor had them sing the tengwar song, the number song, the Valar song, the song of the Music, and more they didn’t already know. There were songs for history and mathematics and the patterns of nature. When Maglor decided they knew them well enough, he brought out slates and chalk and had them practice their letters and numbers. The lesson-songs stuck in Elrond’s head as the repeated figures and made words on his slate. He could bring the music out into the lines and curves of his name as if making a visual representation of the tunes themselves. Elros did his numbers faster, and when he was done, he drew grotesque monsters slithering out of the edges of the slate to eat them.

I love the earthquake and the rescue and how you use it to move the relationship forward between Maglor and the boys.

Maglor, holding Elros close in one arm, scooped Elrond up in the other—Elrond clung to his dusty tunic and buried his face in his hair and both boys cried for a long time, unashamed and unaware of everything else around them.

“I am so glad you two are safe,” Maglor said.

“Right, it would be hard to tell the king that they got squashed in your care!” someone joked nearby.

“That is not the only reason.” He squeezed Elrond and Elros close. “Far from it.”


Also really love the instruction from Maedhros in swordfighting. Thankful to finally seeing him do something other than rant and rave and be crazy. Maglor is right again; they are very lucky to get him as an instructor. (I'm hoping that might be good for Maedhros too--whatever, it's your story and I trust you at this point to tell it well.)

Adolescence is difficult enough without what Elrond is dealing with here--I'm on tenterhooks wanting to know what comes next. Beautiful writing!

“Don't stay out too late!”

“I won't!”

Oh, no! Glad I know know already that he survives, etc. I don't do very well with cliffhangers!