Erinyator by ziggy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Finally succumbed. Plucked up the courage to post here.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maedhros had not intended any of this.

The thought came to him as he watched the sleeping children snuggled under their blankets with the red light of the hearth fire against the softness of their cheeks, their dark heads just over the top of the blankets.

The smaller one snuffled and rubbed his nose in his sleep and Maedhros automatically smoothed his hand over the warm dark head and hummed the lullaby he had hummed over countless ages to other small boys. All dead now but one.

And this was not life. 

No. He had not intended this.

His stump itched and he scratched it carelessly; it did that when he remembered.

Major Characters: Elrond

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 450
Posted on 24 May 2020 Updated on 24 May 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I am having a total senior moment! What does Erinyator mean? I know that I know the word but I cannot remember it! Help!

I love this story. Maedhros angst is not something I am guaranteed to like for the suffering alone! (I am a total wimp--how does someone like me fall I love with The Silmarillion? It was a no brainer--I am proof there is an underpining of hope there if one wants to find it.) I like your element of character study and introspection in this story. He is probably my favorite Silmarillion character with Fingon my second and Elrond running a close third! Gold, silver, and bronze! No way I could not love this interpretation.

Beautifully done--self-blame and guilt aside, it shows that Maedhros holds the ability to feel tenderness for Elrond and behind that lies a foreshadowing of his redemption. It will be a hard battle and there will be one more big mistake before things start to get better. But I refuse to condemn Maedhros...I know that is just me. I do believe in hope and forgiveness--and a weight of small details throughout Tolkien's story convince me that Maedhros deserves it.

Erinyator means Little Healer- I am so sorry, I should have added that as a note!

I am so flattered that you love this story:) Made my day! I agree- I don't like to see characters suffering for the sake of the suffering, especially not Maedhros for whom I have such a deep affection- I think Tolkien really punishes him...I keep wanting to find little bits of happiness for him and I like the idea that Elrond brought him some.

 

Thank you so much for the review- I was a bit nervous posting it here amongst such great fanfic writers.