Song of Lake Linaewen by Zdenka

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Brief scenes of the love between a Sindarin Elf of Nevrast and a Noldo follower of Turgon: meeting and parting in the midst of loss, betrayal, and war. (A double drabble poem and four ficlets.)

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships: Original Character/Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Femslash, Fixed-Length Ficlet, Poetry, Romance

Challenges: B2MeM 2019

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 2, 223
Posted on 12 December 2016 Updated on 12 January 2023

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

A Sindarin Elf of Nevrast mourns the departure of her lover, one of Turgon's people who went with him to Gondolin. (Double drabble in poetry.)

Written for femslash100 Drabble Tag Round 7, for Himring's prompt: "Silmarillion: elf/elf - Lake Linaewen"

Aewelir comes to Vinyamar but finds it deserted.

I had the impulse to catch up with some older prompts (and revisit a pair of OFCs I came up with in 2016). The story will have an eventual hopeful ending, but not in this chapter.

Written for the femslashficlets Language of Flowers prompt table challenge: marigold, meaning “despair and grief over the loss of love,” and the following prompts from B2MeM 2019 Bingo:

Color Burst 3 – Yellow: Remembrance (I29)
Emotions: Nervousness (N37)
Of the Sea: Cape (O72)
The Late, Great Mary Oliver: “And the runaway honeysuckle that no one will ever trim again.” (G54)

An unexpected meeting at the Havens of Sirion.

Surprise, I remembered this fic exists! :) It will end happily, but not yet. This is a sad and angry chapter.

Written for the femslashficlets Language of Flowers prompt table challenge: lilac, meaning “one’s first love, reminders of an old flame.” And the following prompts from B2MeM 2019 Bingo:

Color Burst 3 - Yellow: Coward (O66)
Emotions: Pain (B14)
Of The Sea: Fishing-net (G57)
The Late, Great Mary Oliver: “Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, are headed home again” (B12)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like this a lot--how you've interwoven the birds and the rushes and the music and the unfolding of the love story! 

The piper also reminds me a little of Tinfang--although I imagine there were many Telerin flautists and pipers, on both sides of the Sea.

By the sound of it, this Sinda may not have received an offer to go along, but perhaps she might not have accepted it, even if it had been tendered, despite her love for the bright-eyed Noldo maid. She seems so much at home in the landscape of Nevrast.

Thank you very much for writing a fill for my prompt!

Thank you -- I'm very glad you like it!

I agree with both -- that she wasn't told of the journey to Gondolin, and that she might not have gone because she loves her own country too much. (Though I believe her Noldorin lover was under orders not to tell her and didn't find it easy to leave her behind.)

Thanks for leaving that set of prompts for me! I was glad to have them to work on, though it took me a while to get back to them.

I think I missed this when you posted it, sorry!

What a wrenching encounter!

I feel so much for Aewelir here! But for Maicane, too.

They have both been through so much loss, as well as losing each other.

And I love how you used the different prompts.