To Remember by Raiyana

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Featuring Nyarnien(Telperína), the wife of Curufinwë and mother of Tyelperinquar, who appears in A Walk down Memory Lane and Only Teardrops, too.

Lines used:

  • "When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold." ~ Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
  • "All this happened, more or less." ~ Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
  • "I had the story, bit by bit, from various people, and, as generally happens in such cases, each time it was a different story." ~ Edith Wharton, Ethan Frome
Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Reborn Slain, those who fell in the First Kinslaying, are born from the Halls of Mandos into lives that are not quite familiar...

Some chose to forget, but some... some chose to remember.

Major Characters: Nerdanel, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Start to Finish

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 724
Posted on 23 October 2019 Updated on 23 October 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


If the hard choices did not have consequences they wouldn't matter, I feel - and my Nerdanel also came to that conclusion after it was too late to change her mind, so I see them as very similar... despite approaching the future from opposite directions, their paths align at this point and towards the War of Wrath.

This is very beautiful. I especially like the section where she describes the memories. 

Memories she clung to, half-mist and dream-like as they were, but still, she had no wish to forget what she had once known, like so many others.

I can totally relate to that. I want to remember the good and the bad of my life--the triumphs and the mistakes. All of those things build experience and make us who we are. (I've never been wild about the version of canon where people are born anew and have no memories. This story is kind of a compromise between the two extremes.)