The Voices of Silence by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This drabble series was written as a response to the OSA drabble challenge #75: Silence. It is now reworked and complete! My precious beta: Trekqueen, my fabulous cheerleaders are Ghettoelleth and Isil Elensar.

 

MEFA 2007 Nominee

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The house of Finwë is marred by tragedy and darkness, the Fëanorians the most. This drabble series adresses important moments in the fate of the house and how all react to it.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celebrimbor, Celegorm, Curufin, Fëanor, Finwë, Maedhros, Maglor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 181
Posted on 22 May 2007 Updated on 22 May 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a stunning set of drabbles. Each of them presents the voice of the character you portrayed and the voice of silence in a wonderful way. I really love these shades of silence that highlight the important events in the lives of the members of the House of Finwe.

Yes, silence can be comforting, overwhelming or disturbing, it may calm or unsettle, or even deafen, also it may mean peace or death (like in the Amrod and Amras ones), or a dream, and those feelings you worked into the drabbles perfectly. There are many awesome moments in them; I particularly like the first one, with Finwe mourning Miriel, and the Maglor one is very powerful and meaningful. The last one provides us with a great insight into Nerdanel's thoughts. Celegorm -- ah, as straightforward as I've always imagined he would be, and Caranthir -- forced into silence but boiling with anger. Maedhros, stunned speechless by his father's words, made me think that silence and words can be equally powerful. Celebrimbor contemplating his accomplished task: this fabulous drabble reflects his moment of serenity and at the same time is disturbing because a shadow of what is to come lurks in the background. The quietude in the Feanor drabble resounds with pain and hate, and the Curufin one expresses bitterness in a way it's palpable.

Splendidly done, Rhaps! Thank you a lot for sharing the drabbles with us and also thank you for pointing them to me. :)