The Harper by JunoMagic

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A short story about the harper singing at the Field of Cormallen. It ties in loosely with my story "Lothíriel" and even more loosely with the Silmarillion. Fourth Age, approximately 3028.

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 976
Posted on 6 June 2007 Updated on 6 June 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is great!  I love how you've created a very old 'feel' to this story, and the mystique of the blind bard is well done.  I had not read that poem before, but I still understood the picture you were painting throughout - to see it at the end was a surprise!  An ugly elf is quite different, but very effective and convincing - especially when contrasted to his voice!  Poor, poor Maglor.  Am I right in supposing that he gouged his own eyes out?   

And since you requested concrit:

I doubt they actually breed the mountain goats - it sounds a lot more as if the mountain goats are still wild.  You might want to reconsider your word choice here, if they are not tame. 

While part of me *really* liked seeing songs I already knew (the lay from Cormallen, 'Gil-galad was an elven king...'), it would have been nice to hear an original composition at some point.  We never heard any of the blind bard's songs.  I realize that is a tall demand to make, but I am sure you could pull it off :)

The voice of your narrator is perfect for someone who had a rude upbringing in the outskirts of Rohan.  But he does not sound quite...poetic...enough for a bard.  I think it was the repetition towards the beginning that threw me.  I understand there is a dichotomy in his character - I just wanted to give you some feedback on how he sounds, as a first impression. 

I liked the framing device of him telling the young prince how he became a harper.  It added layers of history to this story.