My Shining Stars by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Fanwork Information

Summary:

And now for something a bit controversial: Elrond stands on the deck of the ship carrying him to Aman writing notes in a journal.
MEFA 2008, Second Place, Elves: House of Elrond
SWG Silmarillion Anniversary Contest, Third Place Winner, Short Works

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Elwing, Eärendil, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Anniversary Contest, Sea Voyages, Wish upon a Star

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 831
Posted on 29 September 2007 Updated on 29 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This reader will be more than indulging!  (You can always have it beta-d later ;)).  This vividly calls to mind Catherine Karina Chmiel's illustration of Maglor and Maedhros riding off with Elrond and Elros.  I imagine it would have been difficult for Elrond to forgive his true parents, and you've made his fostering convincing. 

Oh, thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I am happy you enjoyed reading it. I did have that picture in my mind near the end of writing it, although it wasn't the original inspiration. I adore that picture (the birds in the background and the flags--Maedhros grim and Maglor slightly softer!) Enough squeeing over my favorite artist of Feanorians. (I probably would have sat on this story for weeks and continued to pick were it not for this deadline--I am not a fast writer.)

This is lovely, oshun, not needing the begging of indulgence, I don't think.  It reads very smoothly, both in a technical sense and more importantly, an emotional sense.  It saddens me to see the portrayal of them distanced from Earendil, but I well understand it.  And you do reflect my own beliefs that they must have been loved and caredfor, and returned that love - to the ones who did raise them.

If Elrond would live in our time, he would have been diagnosed with the Stockholm syndrome. He is quite harsh towards his own mother, is he not? I sit here thinking how easy it is for him to pass such cruel judgement over her while later in his life his own wife forsakes her own children as well. When I was reading how he thought about his father, I thought… Elrond does not understand the sea-loving drive of men here; he chose his own race wisely. It is curious to see how Elros might get that, given his choice though. The piece could use touches here and there, that is for sure, but it made a lovely read nonetheless. Although I am not sure if I loved Elrond more after I finished this piece, on the contrary even (no I don’t think Elwing’s choice was just as a mother, to chose protecting a heirloom above her kids, but it is understandable in a way).

I thought when I first posted this--somebody is going to see this as Stockholm syndrome! Oh, well. Not really my intent, but one of those cases where I don't care for the canon implications or interpretations, so I've re-done it. (One of the reasons I write fanfic--otherwise I'd just let the original stand untouched! We each have our own reasons for writing these things.) I'm just too much of mom not to object to Elwing's choice. Always been a WTF?-moment for me. I know, I know, I've heard the objections before--why I labeled it controversial. Thanks for much for the comments. I always get a lotfrom  your opinions even (or esepcially?) when they differ from my perspective. I'm sure I will do some more work on it. But think it needs to age a little for me. First-person narrative is not an easy genre for me either. Thanks again.

This is very haunting. I"ve read a number of Elrond stories but few like this. His distance from his father and his cool feelings toward his closer blood relatives are understandable and sad to read. I like the respect and love he still bears for Maedhros and Maglor. Nicely done!

Thanks for reading. I sort of took off from Tolkien's line "Maglor took pity upon Elros and Elrond, and he cherished them, and love grew after between them." No where does he give us anything that indicates the popular fanon interpretation: Elrond finds out what happened and hates Maglor and Maedhros's guts. LOL. My own little rant, I guess.

Hi, there. Nice vignette, full of conflict and emotions. I must say that your prejudices are flying their flag full out. All hail the House of Feanor! Woohoo!

Elrond's story is full of possibility, and you've just begun to plumb it. Perhaps Maglor and Maedhros were a reason for him to choose to become an Elf?

One little problem here:

When I was a young,

Either delete the a, or add man.

Oh, thanks! What I meant to say was "When I was young..." Claudio re-wrote those four words for me and I STILLL couldn't get them right! OMG! I need a secretary/editor/copy-checker fulltime. Seriously, I do intend to write some Elrond in the future, just playing around with possibilities in some of my ficlets. Thanks for reading--I know you have been so busy!

Children do judge their parents harshly, but if anyone is entitled to, it's Elrond and Elros. I loved how defined his voice is and how steadily he goes through his musings, how fondly he remembers Maedhros and Maglor and how his own parenting is moulded by what he lived with them.