Elves in Manhattan by oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A fanfic writer meets two of her favorite Silmarillion characters.

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Elf Falls into Modern-earth

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 617
Posted on 9 October 2007 Updated on 9 October 2007

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I just *love* Elves-in-modern-times-stories. They add  different perspectives to the characters and the contrasts reflect on past and present. Very very nice. And, yes, of course, we all dream of running into one of these guys having a coffee around the corner. Is this a part of a larger story?

I'm not one of those people who mind an 'elves in modern times' premise. And this sounds like fun and very promising. I love the details -- you see I've never been in NYC (living in Central Europe, heh, far, far away), so it was really interesting to read a realistic chapter.

I'm looking forward to reading more.

Best wishes,

Binka

PS. Do I need to mention that I would love to meet *my* fav characters? ;)

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it so far. Frankly, I do not always like elves-in-the-modern day stories in general, but there was been some spectacular stories I have loved written from that premise. *Aftually, some dark and edgy Maedhros/Fingon ones in particular--this one is hardly dark and edgy, although it does have sad parts coming up. I am not a fan of self-insertion either, but the lady in my story is surely in no danger of being considered a Mary Sue. (Like anyone who has lived in New York City--it is a love/hate relationship. Hard, but so rewarding in so many ways. And there is the sense that nothing is too strange to encounter here.)

oshun, this is such a wonderful romp!  For one thing, you captured the East Village perfectly!   There's so much that made me smile and chortle in this story, but this paragraph just about sent me over the edge:

We struggled toward the table near the window, reaching it only after I stumbled over an umbrella and one of those ferocious, yapping dogs the size of your fist, and the near-brawl had subsided between the guy behind the counter and an irate French woman over the fact that dogs are not allowed in Starbucks. No, not even in a shopping bag and not even on Astor Place.

That is pure gold, oshun. Pure gold.  I suppose the fact that I saw at least three women with purse-pooches in NYC not long ago did it for me.  And "Mom" drawn into three syllables? Oh, yeah.  I can hear it.  I also laughed aloud at Finn and the narrator scurrying to the computer while Lucy and Mac were occupied.  Oh, and their flat is completely in oshun-verse Maitimo and Findekano character.

I'm a fan of Elves et al. in a contemporary context (who would have guessed based on, errr, one of my fics), and this works for me and then some.  I swear the next time I'm in the Village, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Mac and Finn.

Oh, thanks! I'm excited that somebody who knows the area recognized it. (L. and I lived there for almost five years when she was still a kid and still go back to shop. We reluctantly moved to Brooklyn, but now complain about how it isn't what we remember.) Also, shopping together is a nightmare for us--but like I said that it another story--we do much better with dinner and movie. Working on the next chapter.

I love your modern-day piece and several others I could list, but I think it's a hard genre to get right.

I think most of us spend a decent amount of time imagining what would happen if we could talk with our favorite characters – I’ve even been guilty of writing about it a few times.  But your version is less like a fantasy, and more like a real story, which makes it pretty awesome.  I’ve only been to NYC once, but from what I know, you seem to have captured it pretty well.  And “Valinor, not Valium!” made me laugh.

I read this story of yours years ago, before I de-lurked. Now the new review challenge has alerted me that I never went back and commented.
I've just re-read the story and I still like it as much as I did then. I didn't know you then except as an author of Silm stories, of course! I was charmed by the narrator and her fictional daughter then--and now some of this also has the added appeal of familiarity and recognition. Like the way you talk about the cooking, to give just a very small example--so typical!
And the elves, of course! So recognizably your Maedhros and Fingon! And that lovely interaction between you and Fingon at the computer, fan fic writers together!
And the setting is so vividly described that it makes the encounter very believable.
I'm sorry there's not more of this--I would have liked to find out what they'd written (although the chances that Mac would give himself away seem slim). But what is here is already very enjoyable and I'm still delighted with it.

Thanks for commenting. I had not thought about that story in forever. It reminds me of when Pande lived in Princeton and we met in Manahattan more often. Also reminds me of when Laura was young and single and working on costuming for movies. Wow! I actually have a significant portion of another chapter somewhere. I should finish it some day.

Thanks again! Ghosts from the past. (Even Maedhros and Fingon have evolved a little in my writing since then.)