Uinen’s Revenge by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Uinen is Ossë's wife, the maia called “The Lady of the Sea.”

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Back to Middle-earth Month Challenge, Day 21 – The Prompt: Describe a big storm . . . place it in Tolkien's world. A fixed-length ficlet of 125 words (counted by MS Word). “But Uinen wept for the mariners of the Teleri; and the sea rose in wrath against the slayers, so that many of the ships were wrecked and those in them drowned.” (The Silmarillion, “The Flight of the Noldor.”)

 

Major Characters: Fëanor, Maedhros, Uinen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2009

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 119
Posted on 21 March 2009 Updated on 21 March 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Fëany is such a micro-manager sometimes, but I would like to think that despite the snarky exterior, he didn't want any harm to come to his followers and that maybe he wants to have some private time alone to grieve Nerdanel (I'm a hopeless romantic, I know.)  ;-)

I have to agree with Surgical Steel that you have the tone of the seafaring adventure down perfectly! I'm really surprised that there are fewer stories about the crossing; it seems like a time ripe for conflict (and, therefore, fanfic! :) This one is great--so much is fit into 125 words! Well done! :)

I had fun with this one too! It was like I was a little girl again, curled up under a blanket on my bed with a book of sea adventures. (Of course, it has an underlying serious thread that tells something about how I view the relationship between Feanor and Maedhros at the time (Feanor = mistrustful and sarcastic and Maedhros = protective and mistrustful); but I don't necessarily expect most readers to pick up on the subtleties of that.)

The piece was small but nicely written. However, I did not see Uinen's direct interaction with the characters here... Why did you put her name in the character list? I understand if that was the title, though.

 

LOL I have to refrain myself from going nitpicky... Hmm.

 

I love the first paragraph. I live in an archipelago country and love stories about the sea, however horrifying it is (okay, not so, but anyway). The word choice there was beautiful, and the personification of the ship made the picture look more vivid and the readers more immersed in the part - the predicament of the passangers aboard the stormy sea. Good job!

Thanks for commenting. I am glad you enjoyed it! Great name--wind rider.

I don't know why I checked Unien in the character list! I added and took the name away several times--couldn't make up by mind. I guess because Unien was the actor in the sense of causing the storm finally made me leave it. Sorry if it misled you!

Thanks again!