W by Himring

| | |

Chapter 2: The Walrus That Went South

An unlikely explanation for the unprecedented appearance of a walrus in Tenby, South Wales.

What does a walrus have to do with Tolkien? More than perhaps you think.

 

For the prompt "walrus", obviously.

General, no warnings (except a tiny bit of language, I guess)

 

The walrus is a real one, although zoologically inaccurate ("Wally the Walrus"); the Maiar are by Tolkien.

Now with related art!
See Whimsical Walrus Works for two charming drawings of Wally, one on the trip south and one enjoying that nice slipway at Tenby! Thank you so much, Bunn!

 

 


‘Bugger this,’ grumbled the walrus and slithered off his ice floe.

Osse, lounging among icebergs, saw him swim away and shouted after him: ‘Where are you going?’

‘I am going south for Tolkien Reading Day!’ said the walrus.

‘But you cannot read, can you?’ Osse laughed.

‘I can still be read to,’ said the walrus and went on swimming.

He travelled steadily, stopping for a few snacks here and there, but always continuing south.

‘You are very far south,’ observed Salmar, off Shetland. ‘Where are you going?’

‘I’m going south for Tolkien Reading Day,’ said the walrus.

‘I did not know walruses were interested in Tolkien,’ said Salmar astonished.

‘Why shouldn’t we be?’ asked the walrus. ‘After all, by all accounts he was very interested in us and in our name, at one time!’

He swam on past the Hebrides and arrived in the Irish Sea.

‘You are far from home,’ whispered Uinen. ‘Where are you going?’

‘I am going for the Tolkien Reading Day,’ the walrus confided. ‘I have heard rumours of Sam Gamgee’s fish and chips and I wanted to investigate.’

‘I am not sure that I would recommend the chips, for you,’ murmured Uinen. ‘But have fun!’

‘Thank you,’ said the walrus and went on until he came to Tenby.

‘Have I arrived in time for Tolkien Reading Day?’ he asked, but nobody seemed to understand him.

‘Maybe I came too late,’ he thought. ‘And nobody is offering me fish and chips. But this is a nice and convenient slipway and the humans all seem very happy to see me! I think I will stay a while.’


Chapter End Notes

Tolkien Reading Day is on 25 March.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment